14 - An Unneeded Emotion

Start from the beginning

      No friendship lasts forever, no matter how much you want it to. Eventually, it all fades away and becomes a memory, almost like snow melting as spring arrives. Maybe it was a sign; a sign that it was time to move on. Because while Oikawa (and Iwaizumi) have been constants in her life, Mikaki just knew it wouldn't last.

      'Or am I being too dramatic about it?'

       That was the question she posed to Hanamaki and Matsukawa as she sat with them at lunch.

       "Am I dramatic?"

       Both Hanamaki and Matsukawa exchanged wary looks as they opened their bentos, before Makki spoke up. "...Is that a rhetorical question?"

     "No," Misaki shook her head and repeated her statement as seriously as she could. "I was being completely serious. Do you both think I'm dramatic?"

      "Well," Mattsun started to say but trailed off. Misaki looked at him pointedly.

      "What? Mattsun, say it. I promise I won't be mad."

      "You suuure?" Hanamaki asked, in a rather sing-song voice.

       Misaki rolled her eyes and motioned for Matsukawa to continue. Lucky for them, they were in a less crowded part of the school where not many people came, even though it was a pretty good lunch eating spot. It was fairly isolated, surrounded by a mini-grove of tall trees. The wind here fluttered a little loud.

      "Well, you're normal, but," Matsukawa said. "...I mean, growing up with our captain must have caused you and Iwaizumi to lose a lot of brain cells. Both of you can be as dramatic as Oikawa sometimes."

      Misaki snorted. She slapped Hanamaki's hand away as he tried to swipe the potato cutlet in her bento. "Maybe we are."

      "What's this about anyway?" Hanamaki asked. This time, he succeeded in stealing the cutlet, but he cut it in half with his chopsticks, giving one half to her and splitting the other between him and Matsukawa.

      "I don't know," Misaki answered. "Just weird thoughts I've been thinking a lot."

       "Don't you turn soft on us," Matsukawa's voice was muffled, mouth full of rice.

        "I'm not going soft," Misaki said as she took a bite of her own rice. Once she had chewed and swallowed, she spoke. "And don't speak with your mouth full."

        "Anyways, what was I saying?" She continued. "Yeah. It's just all random thoughts. Something about things not lasting forever, moving on. And growing up and shit."

       (And of course, her parents' divorce.)

       "Sounds like you're going through an existential crisis," Hanamaki said.

       "And if I'm right, which I always am, it's probably because of the fight you had with Oikawa," Matsukawa added.

      "Yeah, I guess so," Misaki said. It was partly that fight, but majorly her parents' divorce. She hadn't told anyone from the team about it. Yuki and Iwaizumi were the only ones who knew. And the things was; she wanted to tell them. She could do it so easily. But the problem was finding the words for it, even if it wasn't that complicated. Because something like divorce came with a lot of complications. "But there's one more thing."

      (Makki and Mattsun were good friends...they deserved to know.)

      "Which is...?" Hanamaki and Matsukawa spoke in unison.

       Misaki took in a deep breath and said the next sentence in a completely casual tone. "My parents got a divorce and told me two days after we lost to Shiratorizawa. Everything just built up from there and exploded the day Oikawa and I had that fight."