Chapter Thirteen

harlem's perspective.

"Ti, I don't wanna go. Why can't I just stay at home in my sweats and have a movie day with my kids?" I whine as Tiana and I sit in traffic, on the way to the wedding.

"You're the one that talked me into going, so if I have to go, you have to go. You sure you're just not scared to see Kyree?" She questions.

"I'm just going to avoid that man like the plague. Did I tell you I got into an argument with Christian this morning?"

"I thought y'all weren't talking."

"We're not supposed to be, but he was talking to Caleb and I somehow ended up with the phone. But he just doesn't get it. He kept asking if I wanted him to give up the other store, but that's not what I want. I just want him to make some more time for me and make me feel loved and wanted like these random ass niggas in my dms can." I vent.

"I think y'all might just need some couples counseling and maybe some therapy for yourselves as well. Just go get y'all back on the right track."

"I'm all for that. As long as shit changes. Deep down, I don't want to leave him. I can't see myself having kids with or being with anyone else in this life. But I want to be happy and let my children see a happy, loving, healthy love between me and their dad. I don't want them to be around anything toxic."

"Yeah I understand that. I hope y'all work things out. I just want you to be happy."

"Thank you Ti." I slightly smile, "Let's stop talking about my failing marriage, though, and let's talk about you. You're not dating anybody or anything?"

She gives me the side eye. "Dating? Girl no. I need to focus on school."

"You don't wanna just have a fun fling or something?"

"I can't do flings. Once we have some good sex and the vibe is right, I wanna be with you. I just need to stay away from men for about two years. Or until I'm done with school."

"Maybe you need a girlfriend." I tease her.

"Shut up!" She laughs.

We spend the next 30 minutes sitting in an uber, in traffic, on our way to this wedding neither one of us want to go to. Honestly, I only dislike Josiah because of what he did to Tiana. Him and I never really had a friendship so I don't have anything too personal against him. I just wish he didn't fuck over my best friend.

We arrive at the wedding and sit through the entire ceremony in agony. Tiana looks disgusted at Josiah and his new bride, I spend most of the ceremony staring at Kyree in his groomsmen tux, and the rest of it being upset at myself for staring at him. I don't even know why we came to this.

After the ceremony, we go to the reception. Tiana sits at the table, surprisingly holding her composure well. I go to the bar to get us both a drink.

"You avoiding me?" Kyree walks up beside me, flashing his beautiful smile.

"Kyree, you know-"

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding. You don't have to avoid me, you know. I won't overstep my boundaries or anything. Last time was just a mistake. I promise I won't try to kiss you or anything." He says.

I order drinks for Tiana and myself. "Well, I'm sorry for avoiding you. I just don't want to get myself into a worse situation than I'm already in."

"Trouble in paradise?" He asks.

"Yeah, too much to get into right now." The bartender hands me our drinks and I peek back at Tiana, who was scrolling through her phone looking bored.