Chapter Eight

harlem's perspective.

"Mommyyyy!" I drop my bag and hold my arms out as Harmony and Jeremiah run over to me. I hug and kiss my kids. I missed them so much. That's the hardest part about being a mom, you want some time and space away from your kids so bad but as soon as you get it, you can't wait to get back to them.

Christian comes over to me with Caleb in his arms. I take Caleb from him and kiss my baby all over his face before giving Christian a kiss. I'm reminded of how I almost kissed Kyree and I feel really bad, but I can't show it. Technically I didn't cheat on my husband. I just hung out with an old friend and we didn't do anything, but I still feel bad that I came so close to cheating. I just love Christian so much and I don't want to ruin what we built.

"How was your trip? Christian asks.

"It was okay. Of course he barely wanted to talk to me but whatever. I'm gonna keep trying though because I don't want to miss anymore of his life."

"How was everybody?"

"I only really saw Tiana's mon but she's okay. Can you bring my luggage upstairs?" I ask as I start walking towards the staircase.

Christian brings my suitcase upstairs behind me. I sit down on the bed with my son in my lap. "So what's going on with the new store? Are you gonna go down to check it out and get the ball rolling?"

"I have been doing everything from facetime right now, I really don't want to leave you and the kids more than I have to. But in a few weeks I am gonna go check on renovations."

"Did you talk to your mom about coming to live with us?"

"You know she said yes. She loves being around her grand babies. What about you? Have you found someone to run your salon for you?"

"Not quite. I got caught up with my brother's situation but I'm gonna get on that this week. After all of this I'm taking a long vacation and taking my time launching my brand. I'm so exhausted."

"Aww my baby need some rest huh?" Christian climbs into bed with Caleb and I.

"Always."

"Okay, you take a nap, catch up on some rest and I'll take the kids to the trampoline park for a few hours."

"Thank you baby." I give Christian a quick peck on the lips before handing Caleb back to him. "I love you Christian."

"I love you too babe." He responds before leaving the room.

This is why I feel so bad. I have everything I could ever want at home, yet after seeing Kyree I'm thinking about all of the what if's, but what more is there to want? My family isn't struggling financially, I have a wonderful husband who loves me, 3 beautiful, smart children, a very successful business, and so much more. What is missing? What more could I want?

I change out of my clothes and into an oversized tee, then climb into bed and fall asleep.

—————
christian's perspective.

My mind is racing as I'm getting the kids loaded up into the car. Ever since Harlem has come home from New York, she's been acting a little off. She seems as if she's trying to hide something.

I don't want to make a big deal out of it, though, because I trust my wife. Maybe she's tired, her weekend was draining, or she has a lot on her mind. I don't want to stress her out even more than she already is. I just can't help but wonder why she's acting the way she is.

"Okay, I'm taking y'all to a special place so mommy can have some quiet time. Okay? Jeremiah and Harlem?"

"Ok." They say in unison.

"Where are we going daddy?" Harlem asks as I begin to drive.

"I can't tell you! It's a surprise!" I joke with her.

"What's a surprise?" She asks.

"It's like when you don't know about something before it happens." Jeremiah explains to her.

"Exactly. Just like your brother said. Good job Jeremiah." I smile at him through the rear view mirror. It feels good to know you're being a good father and raising your kids well, especially when you didn't have a father figure around. Breaking generational curses one day at a time.

"Thank you daddy. Can we get ice cream too as part of our surprise?"

"Yes ice cream!!" Harmony joins in.

"Ice cream!" Caleb joins.

Before I know it, all 3 of them are in the backseat chanting ice cream over and over again. "Fine! We can get ice cream."

I spend the next few hours spending time with the kids. I let them run wild in the trampoline park, took them out to get ice cream sundaes and dinner, and made sure they were all tired out by the time we got home.

When we got home, I gave all of the kids baths and put them to bed before showering myself and putting on some pajamas. I quietly climb into bed with Harlem, trying not to wake her. She groans and cuddles up to me as soon as I get comfortable. I love her.

"Thank you." She says. "For taking the kids out. I didn't realize I was so tired."

"You know I gotchu baby. And I know you would do the same for me. They bullied me into getting them ice cream by the way."

She giggles. "Sucker. That's why they so spoiled now."

"Oh I spoil them? And you don't?"

"Nope. Not at all. I'm the bad cop you're the good cop."

"Ok so who bought Jeremiah an iPad? Who takes Haarlem to get her nails done all the time? Who-"

"I don't know what you're talking about." She cuts me off.

"Oh really?" I start tickling her, causing her to laugh uncontrollably.

"Okay okay!" I stop tickling her. "I won't say you spoiled them ever again."

"Mhmm. You spoiled too, you know." I say, kissing her.

"How spoiled am I?" She smirks.

"I'm bout to show you."