Chapter Four *EDITED*

harlem's perspective.

I sit at my desk with my chin in my hand scrolling through potential managers. Ever since Christian and I have had that conversation, I've been trying to find someone to run my salon for me so that I could stay home and start my skincare line. I've been researching recipes, packaging and all. And my lawyer is already creating my LLC and doing all of the legal paperwork for me. I'm so serious about this.

I want to be home with my kids a lot more. I always feel so bad that both Christian and I are always super busy and our house is always so hectic and we never have time to spend with the kids. I'm sure they don't realize it now because they're used to it, but they deserve to spend time with their parents. I just want to do right by my kids and not make the same mistakes my mom did. That's my biggest fear as a parent.

My phone starts ringing, breaking me out of my daze. A unknown number pops up on the screen but I answer it anyway, since it could be something important. "Hello?"

"Hi! Is this Harlem Knights?" A woman speaks over the phone.

"Williams. It's Harlem Williams now, but yes this is she."

"I'm so sorry Mrs. Williams. I'm Stephanie, coordinator at the Jenks Home for Boys, and I am calling in regards to Carter Knights. That's your brother right?"

I raise an eyebrow, confused. "Yes."

"We recently have gotten Carter into our system and would like to see if any of his family is willing to take him in."

It's been years. Literally years since I've seen, talked to or heard from my brother or mother. And apparently my mother never got her shit together, since he's still in the system. "Would anyone else be willing to take him in?" I asked her. Don't get me wrong, I will love to have my brother with me where I know he's safe but I'm not sure that's a responsibility I can take on at this moment.

"He's been kicked out of 3 homes already. He has some behavioral issues so it's going to be hard to find him a home."

"I would love to take him in but I honestly have to speak to my husband first and see what's best for us. Is there a number I can call you back on?" I ask her.

She gives me her phone number and I write it down before we hang up with each other. I miss my brother, I really do, but I also have 3 kids already, both my husband and I are about to embark on new business journeys. and we are already overwhelmed.

I immediately call Christian and explain the phone call I just had. "Honestly, Harlem, we can't take him in. I know that it's your brother and all, and you want to take care of him, but we are already in over our heads right now and it wouldn't be fair to anyone, including him, to bring him into our home."

I sigh. "I know. I just don't know what else to do."

"We can call around. He's in New York, maybe Tiana's mom can take him in and you can visit from time to time. Or we could find somebody. I don't know, babe, but we can't take him in."

"Okay." I say, feeling defeated. I can't be mad, though. He's right.

After him and I hang up, I decide to call Tiana's mom to see if she'd be up for it. She agrees, of course, so I decide to fly out to New York in a few days to help her get him settled in and just to see my brother. I can't wait to be back home. I miss it so much.

tiana's perspective.
Tamia - Officially Missing You

I sit on the edge of the bed, holding a bracelet in my hand that had Josiah's name on it. Him and I broke up some time ago, but for some reason, I still can't get over him. He was the only boy I've ever fallen in love with. We were together for over 4 years, and even though we've been broken up for almost half a year, he stays on my mind. He's moved on, now in a relationship with someone else, so why can't I do the same?

Plus, I'm doing great in life. I'm a doctorate student, in the top 5% of students in my program, with my own place and car and I did it all on my own. I could get any guy I want yet here I am, sad over a nigga that wanted me to give up my career for him.

As if he can hear me thinking about him, my phone rings and Josiah's name pops up on the screen. I let it ring for a few seconds, debating with myself on whether or not to pick up, but I decide to do it anyway. He's calling me for a reason.

"Hello?" I speak softly.

"Hey, Ti. How are you?" He talks as if we've been friends for the last few years. Like he just hasn't spoken to me in a few months but we're still closer than ever.

"I'm good," I say slightly confused, "How are you?"

"I'm good. I'm in Atlanta and I just wanted to maybe stop by and see you. You still live out here right?"

"Yeah. You wanted to like come over or maybe go out for drinks?" I ask.

"How about you come to me? I have an airbnb and we could have dinner and drinks."

"Um, sure." I respond. "When?"

"In about 3 hours. I'll text you the address."

"Okay." I say before hanging up. I immediately begin scrambling trying to get ready.

I spend the next two and a half hours getting ready. I took the longest shower ever, trying to prepare myself for any sort of conversations we may be having, then I moisturized every square inch of my body, put on the cutest nude dress with my back out, some heels and the most expensive perfume I owned. I also beat my
face and straightened my hair bone straight. I want him to see I'm doing well. And I want him to want me back.

I decided to uber to his place instead of driving, since I will be drinking. When I arrive at his airbnb, I stand outside super jittery, until he opens the door. I straighten myself up quick as he welcomes me into the home.

"You look nice." He compliments me as I walk past him.

"Thank you." I speak very nonchalantly.

"Let's go into the dining room, I got some dinner for us." He leads me to the dining room. I follow him.

He has the room set up nicely, but not too intimately. We have steak with baked potatoes and string beans, which all look homemade. He also has some wine set up on the table.

He pulls out my chair for me, and pushes it back in after I sit down. He pours me a glass of wine and make sure I also have ice cold water in case that's what I want. He's being very gentlemanly.

He sits across from me, and at first it's very quiet and a little awkward until he breaks the silence.

"So, how are you?"

I giggle, "I swear you've asked me that a tom of times today."

"My bad." He smiles. "How's school? What you been up to? I know we haven't spoken in a while."

"School's great. My grades are fantastic, I have great friends and I'm overall happy. I've been working hard and going to school pretty much. How about you? How's life been for you?"

"It's pretty good honestly. I've always dreamt of being where I am today so I honestly can't complain."

"That's good. What brings you to my city?" I grill him.

"Just taking a little vacation and I couldn't leave without hitting you up."

"How long you gonna be here?"

"Another couple of days." He responds.

"Oh alright."

"Ti, honestly I've missed you a lot. I wish we didn't have to just stop talking because we broke up. I thought I'd always have you in my life. Can we be friends?"

When he says the word friends, my heart drops. I thought he hit me up to try and ask me to get back with him or try and work on things, but no. He only wants to be friends. But, I don't let him see me visibly upset. I plaster a smile on my face and just say, "Sure. We can be friends."