Chapter 2

"The reaping is to be held next week!" the cheery news reporter said.

"Do you think, I might get picked?" I asked my father.

"NO! there are tons of children in the Capitol!!" My mother said worried.

I walked back to my room. I turned on the TV. They were showing a rerun of the 20th Hunger Games. I watched the tributes in the arena and wondered what the one this year would look like. At school all anyone talked about was the Quarter Quell. Some people were even debating which kids would get picked.

"Who do you think?"

"Hmmm?"

"Who do you think will get picked?" My friend Sapphire asked me.  

"Ummm...I don't know."

"The reaping's tomorrow you know."

"I know."

"Who's going to be our escort?"

"I think it's my mother. She got her sister to do District One this year."

"She thinks you'll get picked?" I nod.

"Well if you do at least you'll know about the arena and traps, you know, your dad being a Gamemaker and all."

"Ya but it's strictly confidential. So he can't tell us."

"Darn!"   

I had trouble getting to sleep that night. All I could dream of was getting picked. I eventually managed to doze off.

"10......9......8........7......6....." I opened my eyes and was standing on a metal platform.

"5........4...........3..........2.........1...........Begin!"

I looked and saw 23 other tributes running at a cornucopia. I was too shocked and didn't know what was going on, so i just stood there. The huge boy from my program threw a spear at me and came running toward me. i jumped out of the spear's way and he knocked me to the ground.

"I always win!" he said stabbing me in the head with a sword. I screamed and woke up.

"Just a dream.....just a dream." I said to myself looking around my room.

The sun was up so i decided to go use my program for a while. I ended up running the obstacle course 3 times. When I was finished, I took a shower and found a dress my mother had put on my bed for me. It was a dark blue with dimonds on it. I put it on and decided to just put my hair back in a bun.  i walked into the living room. My family was dressed in fine clothes as well.

"Well it's almost two........time to go children." My mother said.

We walked to the square outside of the presidents home. A stage had been set up with two glass bowls containing all the childrens names in the Capitol. I stood in a section marked off for 18 year old girls. My friend Sapphire was standing beside me.

"I really don't want to be picked!" she said basically in tears. "Oh! and happy birthday too!" she said when she stopped crying.

My birthday? Oh ya! i had totally forgotten. My mother stood on the stage, welcoming us all. She went over to the girl's bowl first. She grabbed a slip and read it.

"Clarissa......Storm........" I saw her getting teared up.

Sapphire was crying again with the rest of my friends. 

Great birthday present...... I thought.

I walked to the stage. My mother hugged me tightly, so tightly President Snow had to loosen her grip so the Reaping could be finished. My mother reached into the bowl for the boy's.

"Glacier Atkins!" 

oh no! I thought. Not Glacier!  

Glacier was one of my best friends. He came and stood next to me on the stage.

"Capitol, here are your tributes!" My mother announced.

Never in my life did i think i'd ever hear that. The anthem played and the Reaping was over. President Snow pulled us aside.

"Well, well, well. Never thought we would have Game Maker's children as tributes. Don't give away the arena too much!" he said laughing.

It's true, Glacier's dad is also a Gamemaker. They both would be giving us our training scores. I look at Glacier and he looks at me, and we both know neither one of us is getting out of these games alive. Being from a richer place singles us out as Career's. But being Capitol children is like putting a target on our backs and begging the other's to go after us first. We'll be the first ones gone.   After the Reaping, since we all ready live in the Capitol, the President agreed to let us stay in his home until tomorrow when the other Tributes arrive. We are allowed 4 minuets to say goodbye. Peacekeepers take us into separate rooms in the President's mansion.

"Wait here please." They say closing the door.

This won't really be the last time I see my parents, but they are the first to visit me anyway. My mother walks in first and as soon as the Peacekeepers close the door she bursts into tears.

"Clarissa!!"

"It's okay mom."

My father walks in.

"Clarissa!" he says giving me a hug as well.

"I never thought it would be you! The odds were totally in your favor!" My mother continues.

"I know."

"Or Glacier! Poor Amaria! She just recently lost her husband as well!"

"Clarissa, if you want to know anything about the arena, just ask me after training."

My father says winking. Our time was up, and the Peacekeepers came for them. My friend Sapphire came next.

"Omigosh!!" she said crying. I started crying too.

"I'v known you my entire life! why couldn't it have been someone else!? Why you!?" she says.

"And why Glacier?!"

"I don't know, but it's okay!"

"But you can't fight!"

I looked around the room then whispered in her ear,

"But I can."