30 - Runaway

"Stop!" The Queen pulled the reign of her horse, telling ot to stop. Both of them rode for days barely stopping for rest. Yesterday she saw smoke rising to the sky in Myhtica's direction, she hurriedly forced herself and the horse to quicken their pace but it seems she's too late. The moonlight is the same tonight but it seems to lit up horror rather than ease.

A cold pricked her white rosy cheek, for a while she thought it was snow, after all it's winter in Myhtica. It wasn't snow. Ashes stains her face as they fell from the sky endlessly, blood and death spilled in front of her. The stench of burnt bodies stinks the air, bodies of her comrades, of her people, not just Mhyticans but Tallies as well. The Tallies were stationed here for her. She gritted her teeth in anger and despair. There's no room for guilt, not now. Orion surely is on his way by now but this sight, almost half of his men slaughtered down, she wished she could erase it for him. Erase it from her. Damn you Kalilis, your head is mine.

Enemy's camp

From atop the hill, Val scanned the area, they made camp within dense surrounding forest, there are war prisoners being held on the south of the camp, provisions in the north. She pinpointed Kalilis's tent and spied on their guards activity when a ruckus drew her attention.

"Kneel old man!" the foul smelling foot soldier kicked the legs of the prisoner. The white haired man fell down to his knee, chains on his arms and legs dragged him down to the mud filled ground. The soldier circled him.

"Come on! Get up now! Let me put you down once more"

Laughs and mockery circled in the small group surrounding the prisoner. Shouts overlapping within them.

"Strongest my ass!"
"Look at how weak he is"
The prisoner tried to get up.

"I want to kill him, he gave me this scar!"
"Chill down mate, they're prisoners not pig for slaughter though the sure smell the same" the fat soldier laughs out loud and threw his empty glass of beer to the prisoner's back making him fall down again.

They all burst into laughter and Val unconsciously grabbed her bow and aimed it at the fat soldier. She knew the prisoner all too well, it was Kairon, the Myhtican's Commander and her mentor. He is her father figure, he taught her everything she needed to know including why this arrow hasn't flew down to struck that fat pig.

Don't let your anger consume you, don't feed on it, it makes you reckless and impulsive.
He drilled that to her mind.

She lowered her bow and control her breathing. Kairon's alive. That's what matters, now her goal is keeping it that way and getting him out of there. Knowing Kairon he wouldn't want to leave his men behind, she must figure out a way to get them all out of safety.

Someone that seems to be a captain dragged Kairon out of the masses, where is he taking him. No. No. No. NO. They're gonna crucify him!

Val turn back and ran down the hill, she lit a fire and free the horses, making a disarray of commotion. She put an arrow between the guard's eye and quickly grabs the keys. She freed the prisoners and gave them the remaining keys.
"General? Why are you here?" One of them said
"No time, go now!"
"But the commander!"
"I'll get him. Now go!"

Fortunately, there are only two soldiers with Kairon. She shot her arrows swiftly and grabs Kairon to hide behind bushes. He's in bad shape, it is clear that he's been tortured, he is bruises and cut all over. She gritted her teeth.
"Kairon, we need to get out of here, can you run"
Kairon is barely awake, he's about to pass out any second.
She heard noises from the bushes behind her and readied her bow.

A dirty looking figure came out of the bush and put his hands up
"General, it's me"
She lowered her bow, good, it's that Myhtican soldier from before.
"Come help me"
They pick Kairon and carried him away.

Suddenly the bell rings "PRISONER ESCAPED!!"
Shit. That was fast. Val pushed Kairon to the soldier. "Take him, go North and meet up with the Tallies, they should be here soon"
"General! Where are you going?" he whispered desperately but Val is already out of reach. They know the layout and this land better than the enemy so they should be fine....as long as she bought them some time.

Val ran to the opposite direction, so much for sneaking and assassinating Kalilis, it's impossible now. She must create a diversion and make them chase her so she shot an arrow to some of them and led them to her. Running through the woods at night is an advantage for her, it is much easier to hide in these bushes and trees but then a sound she dreaded appears. Dogs. Hunting dogs. She need to run faster now and frankly her legs are trembling, days of riding getnthe better of her body but nonetheless she must keep moving.

Hiding behind a tree she smelt something she shouldn't have. A cold voice sliced the air, even the dogs stopped barking,

"You can come out now Queen, don't be shy"

Kalilis.
Her heart beats out of her chest, cold sweat ran through her body. She didn't realize she was holding her breath until her chest hurts. The only sound she could hear is his boots crunching over dry leaves and burning torches, coming closer and closer, she froze.

"I can smell you" he hissed

Fuck, werelion, Val gripped her dagger, envisioning stabbing it through his neck in one swift move, she might go down after but at least she took him out as well.

"I can hear you" he sound so close, the tree is the only thing standing between them now.

Val circled the tree and face Kalilis, she didn't stop, not even for a milisecond, she went straight for his neck but before it pierced him, she fell down the floor and curled into a ball.

"Tsk, tsk. Not bad, at least you managed to scracth me" she could hear the grin in his voice, disgusting bastard.

"Ugh" She knew this feeling, she can't resist being forced to submission. It's so strong it rendered her speechless, this is nothing like Orion's. Kalilis's pheromones felt too sinister and repulsive. Her limbs felt like jelly, her insides turning she threw up and she covered the back of her neck by instinct.

Kalilis grabbed her jaw and forced her to look at him, the same golden eyes that felt all too familiar but his was filled with hatred and evil. He was grinning widely now, one would believe he had already won the war.

"Pheromones, great aren't they, i see you're not used to it at all, i use it all the time" he turns her face left and right and he grinned wickedly
"You must be loved" He chuckled
"Killing you now would be a waste, let's have some fun instead"
Val swayed as she was hauled over his shoulder.

Only one thing rings in her mind.
Orion... i'm sorry....