𝓉𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎

"Look up here, I'm in heaven, I've got scars that can't be seen."
- David Bowie

Being home, recuperating after the accident has been tough. My leg hurt and I was starting to lose my mind, seeing how everyday things are so much harder to do when you're basically handicaped. Mom helped as much as she could and she made peace with Rakim and I being together; he visited whenever he had the time. He brought the twins with him once or twice. They were too cute. My mom offered to take them out for ice cream, I thought it was sweet of her.

Dad was still in a coma; they recorded some brain activity and said if the swelling goes down, they'll try waking him up. I didn't know how to feel; most of the time I hoped he'll be alright because my world isn't whole without him.
But I just didn't want to be sad, bring negative energy and thoughts upon me and everyone around me. Alicia went to see him when I couldn't; I was very thankful to her for that.

"You gotta eat something, baby..." Rakim sighed, trying his best to get me to eat my lunch. He even brought me a slushie, but my appetite just wasn't there.

"I'm sorry. I just know I'm gonna be sick again."
I did't want to be like that, but finding the will to live was very hard at the time.

"You want something sweet, a donut maybe, some ice cream? Whatever you like, just lemme know." He wasn't backing out.

"It's okay, really. Just come here and hold me, please?"

"How's your leg?" He asked while I lied there, leaned on him, looking down at my wrapped up leg.

"Doesn't hurt as much anymore."

"Aight. You got any pills?"

"I do, I'm not taking them until it really fucking hurts, though."

Rakim's phone vibrated for the second time in two minutes.

"It's mom. I gotta run, see you later?" He grinned at me, giving me this sympathetic look. I hated those.

Nodding, I scooted over, grabbing a glass of water from my night stand.

"Promise to take one if it gets bad?"

"Promise."

"Aight." He kissed me before leaving.

I had a long way to go and I knew it. As long as dad shows any kind of progress, I'll make anything work.

💎

Two weeks have passed like it's nothing and I was slowly getting fed up with lying in bed all the time. Mom took me to the hospital for a check up and we were allowed to see dad for a few minutes or so. There was no change. The doctor said they'll try waking him up but if his brain doesn't respond how they hope it would, the whole thing could take a while.

I was never happier, going to school again; anything to get out of the house. Alicia babied me as if she were my mother, gave me a ride to school and back home as well, Rakim would join us and help me with my bag. One time he carried me to class, it was super sweet but I was so sick of not being able to do things by myself.

After a month of torture, my physiotherapy finally began. Rakim was there with me whenever he could, he really stepped up. I was looking at him one day when we were in my bed, watching some movie on Netflix; he's such an amazing human being, so wholesome and nice, I love everything about him. And how he's there for me? I hope it lasts forever.

It was a sunny Friday when I got home from school and saw my mother crying. I prepared for the worst; she'll tell me that dad is gone. Deep down, a part of me was expecting for such news to arrive at any time, since the crash.

It hit me like a passing train, my father had woken up. I cried and broke down from tears of happiness and the thought that I would finally be reunited with him. It's like this wall you're trying to hold up and be strong.
Untill it just falls apart.

I wanted to see him as soon as possible, so mom and I went there the next day.

Going as fast as I could, I cruched my way inside his room.

"Dad." I looked at him, tears in my eyes. "Oh my god!"

He was still disoriented, confusingly looking around.

"It's me, Avy." I waited for that look in his eyes to show; the one he gave me in the car, right before the accident.

"Daddy..."

It was empty, he wasn't able to connect the dots.

"You must have me confused, are you sure you have the right room?"

I froze, kept staring at him for the longest time. Does he not remember me?