Chapter 31 - "I don't even need to ask if you're staying or not"

Hope walks into the Great Hall for the assembly, despite having an idea of what it's about. She finds her seat next o her girlfriend. Usually, she'd hug her or give her a peck on the cheek, but her body is still warm and sweaty from her training.

She looks as students start to settle down. Hope notices Alaric and Caroline quietly talking at the front, with stern looks on their faces.

"Welcome everyone. Dr. Saltzman and I have gathered you all here to discuss a rather important matter that you all need to know about." Caroline opens. She looks over to the man near her and steps aside to allow him the space to talk.

"Students...as you all know, my family has been through a lot recently. A man kidnapped Josie. And while she's now safe, the battle isn't over. The man revealed his motives which leads us all to believe he may be coming back. We're not sure when, but we suspect he may bring friends. He is dangerous and without his humanity. Therefore, those of you under 16 are required to go home, anyone older has a choice. If you'd rather leave, that's perfectly fine, but if you'd rather stay and fight, then the Mikaelson family will pack each day with training."

Mutters spread around the Great Hall. Friends turn to look at each other. There are mixed reactions. Some students have already gotten up and left.

"For those who stay, a meeting will take place tonight to discuss training plans. If you're leaving, we recommend you leave immediately as we have no idea when he'll be back." Caroline adds on.

"Your teachers will still be assigning you work. When it's all over, we will let you know. But until then, you're all dismissed." Alaric states.

Hope says her goodbyes to Josie then heads for her room. She's desperate for a shower.

She dashes into her bathroom, runs the water, and immediately strips out of her clothes. When it's the right temperature, she steps in, allowing the warm water to flow over her body.

She thinks about the whole situation, and how it's rooted in a hatred for her father, and her family. She thinks about how his fierceness and his cruelty are now affecting her girlfriend and the entire school.

Hope feels guilty. On one hand, she should've seen this coming. One of her father's enemies or victims was bound to show their face at some point. She just wishes she could have prevented it from spiraling into a larger issue. Hope would've preferred to have been able to deal with it herself and alone.

It's then that a notification pops up on her phone. A text, from Josie, asking to meet in the twins' room in five minutes' time. Hope has no doubt Josie wants to discuss what her father had said in the assembly, meaning Hope will have to try everything to get her to go.

It may have been five minutes, it may have been two, who knows? But Hope shows up at Josie's door and knocks. It swings open, revealing Josie on the other side.

"You're early." She jokes. Josie leads them to sit at the end of the bed. It doesn't take long for Hope to feel Josie's hand wrapped around her own.

"I know you probably didn't call me over here for this, but I want you to know that that nightmare you had, you can always talk to me about it. You don't have to say anything. And if it happens again, and you want a hug or anything, then I'm here for you."

"I know. And I am going to...talk about it, I mean. I've already planned some sessions with Emma." This brings some comfort to both of them. Josie has accepted that these memories and feelings aren't just going to disappear overnight. They're going to stick with her, perhaps forever. And if she has to live with them, she might as well try and control them instead of bottling it up as she had been. Talking to Emma, getting it out in the open is a good start and a way to give her fears less power over her.