Chapter 8 - "So, you and Hope?"

Josie opens her eyes the next morning, shutting them closed a second later. The world is far too bright, definitely brighter than normal. She blinks, once, twice, and puts a hand to her head. Her head is in excruciating pain. The best way to describe it would be like a thousand little knives digging into her brain, over and over again. Or as if someone is using her brain as a drum.

When she tries to remember the events of last night, no clear memories come to mind. She remembers parts, flashes, such as arms around her, and when she turned to the face of the person it was Hope. She's pretty sure anyway. She doesn't know who else it would've been. It fades into brief flickers of when Hope carried her back to her room. Sure, Hope only did it because Josie asked, but still - she takes it as a win. And she knows, had she been sober. she would not have been able to speak. Josie can confidently say she would have been a total mess.

Speaking of, Hope is still laying next to her. Josie had expected her to leave after she fell asleep, but it seems she didn't. Josie looks down at her waist and sees Hope's arms wrapped tightly around her.

Oh my god.

Hope is cuddling her. Hope is actually physically cuddling her. She's not sure what to do, but waking Hope up certainly isn't an option. It would be cruel of her to interrupt the girl's sleep, but also she is just really enjoying having Hope so close. So, instead, Josie closes her eyes and pretends to fall back asleep. When she feels Hope moving, she's too scared to open her eyes. And when she hears Hope leave, she releases a long and heavy breath that she's been holding in since the second she woke up. She sits up, stretching her arms up in the air.

"So, you and Hope?" Lizzie rubs her eyes from her own bed. After sharing a room with her twin for her entire life, you think she wouldn't get surprised by her sudden speaking. Yet, here Josie is, having almost forgotten they even lived in the same room.

"We're just friends. She brought me back from the party. I guess she decided to stay."

"Mhhmm," Lizzie says, not entirely convinced. She had seen straight through her sister's act, up until the point Josie told her about her feelings for Hope. Just like she saw through it the first time with Hope, and every other time with other people. "The difference is that you like her!"

"Shhh! Keep your voice down! Her room is right opposite ours!"

~a week later~

Ever since Hope first acknowledged her feelings for Josie, it has been all she's been able to think about. Day by day, minute by minute, second by second - the only thing passing through her mind is Josie. Brown eyes and brown hair, a perfect smile that can light up a room. How her scent clings to everything she wears. How soft her skin feels when their hands are linked to do spells.

Little does she know that Josie is feeling the exact same way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first class of the day rolls around. Josie sits in between Hope and Lizzie, while MG sits behind the blonde and Kaleb sits by him. The teacher starts explaining the project each student will be participating in. He tells them that it counts for a large percentage of their final grade and that he will be splitting them into groups himself. Groans of disapproval spread through the class when he states, very clearly, that there will be no change in groups. He begins listing them off, certain students complaining that they aren't in groups with their friends.

"Lizzie, Kaleb, and Sarah, you're in a group." Lizzie's face fills with rage. She stands up, looking at the teacher, more than ready to argue.

"Why am I not in a group with my sister?" She asks. The twins do more or less everything together. Lizzie doesn't like that this is any different.