Chapter 5 - "Movie Night"

"Okay, so we have two flavors of chips, two bags of popcorn, drinks, and a bunch of candy." Hope lists what snacks they have while she subconsciously licks her lips. Josie's eyes follow the movement but move back up soon after. The two look at the food with hungry eyes, more than ready to dig in.

They look at each other, not at all bothered by the music coming from the party in the woods. At this moment, it's just them, and Josie wouldn't have it any other way. Hope wears a sweatshirt that is a size too big for her, the sleeves coming down to her knuckles, with the words 'New Orleans' written across the front. And she wears a pair of grey sweatpants. It may not be much, and it is far from fancy, but Josie thinks Hope looks cute anyway (not that she'd ever tell her that). Josie is in something similar, some grey sweatpants and a pink top.

Hope lays down on the bed, crawling under the covers. She moves closer to Josie, wrapping their arms together. The siphon feels her heart skips a beat and she forgets how to breathe. She feels the warmth Hope brings and finds herself moving closer.

Josie's been too caught up in her thoughts to realize that Hope has already set up her laptop and chosen a movie, though Josie's confused by Hope's selection.

"Harry Potter? But you hate Harry Potter. You said, and I quote: It's not very realistic. I mean people flying on broomsticks?" Josie uses air quotes too. Hope giggles and shakes her head, remembering this moment clearly. Such a fond memory, she and Josie share. They have a lot of great memories, actually, and-

She's going off track.

Before responding, Hope shrugs her shoulders, saying "Yeah, but it's your favorite, soo..." And Josie blushes more than she should. It's not even as if Hope complimented her or anything, she just put on a movie that she likes.

Josie's smile grows wider because whenever she's had movie nights with other people, she had always let them choose. This is different because Hope cares enough to watch something she hates just because Josie loves it. And that makes Josie far too happy.

Hope presses play and somehow moves even closer to Josie, not even by much, but Josie finds herself hyper-aware of any movement Hope makes. And if Josie's heart had even been beating before, then it certainly has stopped now. As if having their arms connected hadn't been enough to give the girl a heart attack, Hope rests her head on Josie's shoulder. But it's fine, this is how Josie normally is around Hope - her heart beats one second and stops entirely the next. She's sure that it has been like this for weeks. It's totally fine, it doesn't mean anything.

And it's still fine when two seconds later Hope is gently stroking Josie's arm, making smooth lines up and down the skin.

She didn't even need a heartbeat anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Halfway through the second movie of the series, they pause it, getting themselves into a serious contest of who could catch the most popcorn in their mouth. One throws it, and the other tries to eat it without it falling to the floor. It starts with Josie throwing a piece at Hope for a joke, but because of Hope's wolf-speed reflexes, she manages to catch it too. Josie then asks for a try, and from there, it progresses into some sort of competition.

Let's just say that Josie's not very good. The closest she has gotten to successfully catching a piece is when one hits the corner of her mouth. In fairness, Hope has a terrible shot...well that's what Josie tells herself anyway.

Josie finally admits defeat when they reach shot 30 failed and it goes completely over her head. Hope is giggling at her and Josie can't help but join in.

"Hey, Jo, you have umm...you have a piece in your hair." Hope points. Josie moves her hand through the locks, yet by some slim chance, she misses the piece. Hope shakes her head when Josie asks if she got it, and shakes her head a second time after Josie makes another attempt to remove it.