Chapter 13 - "Hello, tribrid"

Two more days have passed and still, nobody has any clue where Josie is. Some Malivore monsters have come and gone, nothing they can't deal with. Hope has been used as somewhat of an outlet for emotions, a way to release all of that frustration. She even worked with others to help take some down. People like Alaric, MG, and Kaleb all helped. Even Landon. His ability to escape death can sometimes be useful in battle. He can be used as a distraction while Hope or another witch casts a spell.

As soon as Caroline heard the news about Josie from Alaric, she booked the next flight out to Mystic Falls. She arrived two days after the disappearance and has done everything she can to gell. She and Alaric set up extra security, using some cameras with the hope of capturing something. They've had no such luck.

So to say the least, it's been a long few days of no answers.

Hope has been so caught up in everything with Josie that she hasn't realized that today is mail day. She's been so focused on finding the siphoner that she hasn't been excited for today. Now and then she receives letters from her family, on months that they have been unable to astral project to her, or vice versa. Sometimes, if she felt like getting some fresh beignets from her favorite place, she'd use a spell to get to New Orleans in the blink of an eye. Although that has always been a rare occasion. With the constant monster attacks, quick getaways haven't really been an option for her.

Considering she's not expecting a letter this month (not after Astral projecting yesterday and the several other times) she's rather surprised to see an envelope at her door. When she sees it's brown color, she knows it's not from a family member. There's no writing on the front for her to recognize the handwriting. This only makes her more curious. With nothing better to do at that second, she picks it up, carefully taring it open. Inside, there's a sheet of paper. Hope pulls it out to discover yhe writing on one side. She carefully reads each word.

Hello, tribrid. Thought I would send you a little gift. I think you will very much appreciate it. It may even shock you, which I hope is in a very bad way. Pun most definitely intended. It's a photo I took myself, which I think is truly magnificent. ;)

Her eyebrows are raised as she checks the envelope again. This time, she discovers another sheet. She pulls it out. And her heart stops as she studies it, realizing who the photo is of. Her eyes water. Rage boils in the pit of her stomach.

The photo, holds a frozen moment with Josie. The girl is bruised, black and blue. Covered in cuts. Blood splatters all across her face.

Hope asks herself who could be so cruel to do this to Josie? Who could hur ther, one of the nicest and sweetest people to ever exist? Why?

Hope tries a dozen spells, then a dozen more when those don't work. All of which with the intent to get a hint of Josie's whereabouts, a flash of something in her mind that would help her locate the girl. Nothing.

She has to share this with Josie's family. She throws the items back in an envelope and runs to Alaric's office. Hope doesn't knock. No, her magic opens the door for her on its own.

"Hope, please learn to knock." The man complains from behind his desk. Luckily enough, Caroline is sitting opposite him, drinking from a blood bag with a straw. She can sense a tiredness in the air. Piles of books are laid in front of them, no doubt still on their search for answers. And now Hope has some. Well, sort of. Or not really, but at least a lead that Josie is alive. Maybe not okay, but from the way she's sat in the photo and the expression on her face, she's still breathing.

"I'm sorry Dr Saltzman, but I think you both should see this." She gestures to the envelope and lays it down on the desk. Caroline puts down the almost empty blood bag and grabs it, running her fingers along the edges. The woman looks at Hope, and with a nod of approval, she opens it. She notices the worry on Hope's face, so she wastes no time in digging into the envelope. Her brows furrow as she reads the note inside. Her hands shake as she looks at the other item, gasping loudly. This draws the attention of the man opposite her, who moves into a position that allows him to see it too.

"I-It came in the mail. I don't know who it's from." Hope said. She sighs. If only it were that easy. Josie's hurting, in who knows how much pain, and all Hope can do is wait.

"Can you use it to find her?" Caroline sniffles. Hope shakes her head.

"I'm sorry, Mrs Forbes-Salvatore. I tried on the way over here, but I have no way of tracing it back to the location it was sent from."

"So you're telling me, despite this new evidence, t-there's still nothing we can do to save my b-baby?" Caroline sobs now. And again Hope shakes her head, tears flowing down her face too.

"Whoever took her is very good at hiding their tracks." She states.

The three of them feel sick to their stomach. The photo will perhaps be stuck in HD in their minds forever.

"Okay, but let's think logically about this." Alaric starts, putting his pen down to rub his hands over his face. Why send it to you and not one of us? We're her parents, surely that would make sense.

"What are you saying?"

"Whoever sent this, had a reason to give it to you."

"So it's my fault?"

"What's Hope's fault?" Lizzie walks in. It takes her all of two seconds to register the devastation on their faces, and another two for Alaric to begin explaining what has happened.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Why the hell would you do that?" Josie's furious as he explains the first stage of his plan. She hopes her family are okay, she knows exactly how she'd feel if she'd received a picture like that of one of them.

"Hush hush, dear. It's all part of the fun."

"You're crazy." She tells him. Blood spits from the corners of her mouth, a direct result of his beatings.

"Oh god...You're right. I am. Well, thanks for pointing that out." He puts his hand in his hair after his sarcastic answer.

"Look you can do what you want to me, I don't care...but please leave my friends and family out of it. They don't deserve any of it."

"That's sweet. But everyone deserves to feel pain, some more than others, which is exactly why I sent the photo to Hope." He reveals who he sent it to. Josie's mouth opens in shock. She can't figure out why'd send it to her.

"W-why her?"

"I told you, she's the reason you're here."

"But why? If you're gonna keep me here then tell me why." He goes over to her with a plate in his spare hand.

"Hmmm...no." He's seriously getting on her nerves. The man has figured out methods to ensure she can't escape. He's thought of everything. And what's more is nobody has come for her yet, which she also believes to be his doing.

"You don't get to make demands, that's my job. Now do yourself a favor and eat this. Can't have you dying yet." He shoves a handful of fries at her face, which she chews as best as she can. Some of them fall to the ground as she's unable to catch them. And when she's done, he throws the plate away. It smashes. The pieces scatter across the floor. The noise makes Josie jump.

"Don't move." He says. "Time for a little late-night snack." He takes some blood from her again, but this time not as much. "Your blood is rather sweet. I'm half tempted to forget the plan and drain you dry."

His voice alone is terrifying. It's sharp, deep. Emotionless.

"Now smile for the camera."