chapter 20 - paintball problems & short-lived successes

Ξεκινήστε από την αρχή

"They volunteered," Harry said with a proud smile. "They wanted to help you win this thing."

Her attitude about the match as a whole was beginning to turn around. Maybe this wouldn't turn out quite as badly as she had thought. Now the teams were even — and she had nine highly trained black ops members on her team.

"Go say hello," Harry said as he slid his arm from around her shoulder, patting her back gently before letting her go. "I'm going to tell the overseer that we're all here."

He separated from Piper, heading over to the official standing off to the side with three other supervisors who would be refereeing the game. She watched him go for a moment and then turned her focus back to her team. She jogged over to where they were crowded together.

"Hi guys!" she greeted brightly. Before she could say another word, Luke had squeezed her into an impossibly tight hold.

"Hey Red! Ready to kick some ass?"

"Let me go," she grumbled, her face smashed against his chest uncomfortably. She managed to shimmy out of his hold, shoving him away from her. "Don't smother me before we can even get the game started."

"Feeling better?" Calum asked as he stepped forward to give her a much gentler hug.

"I'm doing alright," she answered as she received a hug from Michael as well. Ashton, who she'd spoken to numerous times since they'd last seen each other, just gave her a wink. "Still on the mend but I'm ready for action."

There was a snort from behind her and then hands clasped down on her shoulders. She glanced over her shoulder and saw Louis's smiling face. He leaned forward to give her a peck on the cheek as his greeting. "Pips has been practicing her little heart out for this," he joked, dodging out of the way just in time to avoid the elbow Piper had thrown in the direction of his stomach. "Obviously she's gotten herself into the right violent mindset."

"Only for you, Louis dear," Piper sneered at him before brushing past him to say hello to Liam and Zayn. Zayn kissed her cheek sweetly and asked after her. She told him the same thing she'd told the 5SOS boys — that she was fine and that she was ready to go. Zayn looked skeptical. He always knew when she was lying.

It was Liam who drew her to the side, his hands resting gently on her shoulders as he leaned in close to make the conversation more private. "You're ready for this, Piper. I promise."

She smiled weakly as she nodded, letting her eyes drift to the ground. Liam's knuckles were gentle but firm under her chin, drawing her face back up. "Listen to me, okay? You've been training really hard and you've been doing so well. You're going to be fine. Don't let the environment intimidate you."

She blew out a shaky breath and nodded with more confidence this time around. "Yeah, alright."

"There you go," Liam said supportively as he straightened. Piper watched as his previously relaxed pose tensed up, his shoulders tightening as his face morphed from a smile into a stony stare. She felt a chill right up her spine and glanced over her shoulder.

Samson was standing there smugly, his big gorilla arms crossed arrogantly across his chest. Flanking him were nine other agents who were just as big and beefy as he was, all of them wearing those same smarmy expressions. Piper felt a pit of dread settle into her stomach. It was hard to let the words Liam had said to bolster her confidence sink in when all she could think about was the way Samson had treated her nearly a month ago, the last time they saw each other. She remembered the feel of his breath on her face, his hands tight around her wrists, his groin pushed to her stomach. She felt sick at the memories.

At least someone had taught him a lesson recently. His nose looked fucked, like someone had punched him not too long ago. She hoped whoever had done it was big and beefy and had clocked him cold. He deserved it.