the one with the phone call

i didn't even know that was a country

december 16 - making cookies

1D fanfic/Salute Extra

Harry/Piper

*

"Well, this is a surprise."

"Is it?" Harry asked, his voice at the perfect volume despite the fact that Piper knew that he was talking to her through the ear piece of his transmitter. She wondered how it did that. Did it adjust for sound automatically? Or had Harry just found the exact perfect volume to speak at? She would have to ask him. Or better yet ask Louis.

"You still with me, petal?"

"Hmm?" She realized she'd been staring at the back splash in her mum's kitchen, lost in her own head. It happened more than she liked to admit. "Sorry, I got distracted. What were we talking about?"

Harry's chuckle sent a warm feeling right through her, to the tips of her toes. So warm and rich and deep. "You were surprised I was calling."

"Well, I am. You never call me when you're away. Where are you again?"

"Suriname."

"I didn't even know that was a country."

"It's north of Brazil."

"So warm," Piper grumbled. "Lucky bastard."

"Are you ever going to get around to explaining that text you sent me?"

So that was the reason he had called. She'd sent him a text earlier that afternoon: what is the best way to dispose of a body? She hadn't really been expecting an answer, she was just venting. She'd sent the same question to Niall on snapchat and he'd sent her back a still from Breaking Bad of Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul looking up through the hole in the bathtub. Some help he'd been.

"I'm at my mum's house and my brother decided to drop by for a visit."

"Ah."

"He thought it was imperative that now, a week and a half before Christmas, he sat down with my mother and sorted out her legal and living wills."

"Did your parents ever test your brother for personality disorders as a child?"

Piper actually laughed at that, smiling for what felt like the first time in days. "No, but not for lack of trying on my part. I tried to convince them he had been switched in the hospital as a baby and that it was our duty to find his rightful parents. I even swabbed my dad and my brother while they were sleeping and sent it in for genetic testing. Unfortunately it was a match."

This time Harry was the one laughing loudly. "These are the things that give me the impression that little kid Piper was the same as grown-up Piper, only smaller."

"It's not untrue," she commented.

"What're you up to, then? Have you actually done something to him that I should be worried about?"

"No. My mum managed to split us up before it got lethal. Now Andrew is sorting out my mum's tax return slips and I'm in the kitchen making cookies."

"You?" Harry said before he burst out into incredulous laughter. "You're in the kitchen?"

"What is so funny about that, Styles?"

"The last time you cooked, you managed to burn that cheese toastie so badly that the bread disintegrated. Disintegrated, Piper."

"What's your point?"

"I would think your mum would know you well enough not to let you into the kitchen."