Unicorn Blood

The next day went by fast, Sierra woke up as usual getting ready for the day. She ate breakfast with Kacey and her other two roommates before going off to Astronomy. The class had been getting a little repetitive but it wasn't too bad. Even though they didn't have assigned seats in that class everyone sat where they had sat on the first day of class. Which meant she was still stuck between Leveret and Malfoy. Draco hadn't said anything to her at all the whole day, honestly that was completely normal so it wasn't a surprise, she was completely fine with not bringing the subject up ever again. 

When Astronomy was over she made her way to Charms class, running into a familiar bright smile in the hallway. 

"Hello Barrows" Cedric chirped as he moved to her side, the two had gotten along quite well over the past few months... well Sierra had gotten used to him finally, he never really had an issue. Cedric wore his heart on his sleeve and wasn't really afraid to be honest with anyone. 

"Diggory" Sierra replied stretching out his name, Cedric had written to her twice during Christmas break which honestly came as a surprise to Sierra. She usually ignored the owls when mail came since she knew nothing was for her. That meant she had completely gotten hit in the face with feathers when she ignored the Diggory family's owl. She had heard screeching but how was she supposed to know he had sent something to her? 

He had told her about his family and life back at home, it was bitter sweet to read everything if she was being honest. It made her think of the McGraths, she had spent ten years in an orphanage waiting for everything that Cedric had described in that letter. Now she knew that all of that was all but a distant dream for her. Although perhaps somewhere deep down she was still clinging on to hope. 

"So tell me Barrows what did you do during the break besides learn a bunch of things you weren't supposed to" Cedric asked with a teasing tone in his voice, she had written him back both of the times he wrote to her, she didn't have anything exciting to tell him so she just wrote what she  learned. He had suggested many things for her to do in his second letter, especially with the snow out and about he had told her about three places in the castle grounds that she could go sledding in. Sierra really wasn't one for any of those activities, not that she didn't like them per say but she didn't know how. Life in the orphanage was nothing like they depicted in books or movies, it was lonely. You couldn't really get attached to anyone because they would just leave one day with a family and never look back, and activities weren't really a thing. Whenever orphanages were advertised they always showed children smiling and playing in a back yard. They didn't have a backyard it was just a grey building in a busy street. After meals you would either go to a tutor for school work or just find something to keep you busy. Which for Sierra it was often just staring out the window, watching thousands of people drive by or walk by.

Sierra wanted to tell Cedric everything that had happened especially with the Mirror but she had promised Terence she wouldn't tell anyone else what she had seen. "Nothing really happened I just hung around Snyde for a while since he was the only one here from Slytherin" Sierra replied glancing over at Cedric. 

"Snyde? as in the seventh year?" Cedric asked furrowing his brows. "Why were you hanging out with him out of all people?" He asked in a bit of a demanding tone which wasn't usual for Cedric.

"Like I said, he was the only other Slytherin here" Sierra said a bit curious towards his sudden reaction. "What's wrong with it?"

"He's an arse, why didn't you hang out with the other first years? Potter stayed for Christmas too didn't he?" Cedric said as he fixed the scarf on his shoulders.

"Real funny, you should be a comedian"  Sierra replied before entering her charms class.

---

The rest of the school day went by normally and soon the end of the end came. Sierra was sitting in the common room working on her journal assignment for Charms class.