CHAPTER ELEVEN

A week has passed, and we have been tricking ourselves into thinking that we are doing our tasks based on what Shadow and Clay found in the children's book. Regardless, I still try to be as optimistic as I can be.
"I swear if I go to a therapist, I will be diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety." Chance mutters as he rubs his sweaty face with his cloved hands.
Both of us stand shirtless in one of the rings in the training field with sweat dripping down every inch of our bodies. I felt sleepless the night before. Thus, after tossing around in my bed for hours, I decided to go to the training field as the sun started to come up.
Chance was there, and it turned out he too could not sleep. In fact, the huge bags under his eyes make me think his condition is worse than mine. Therefore, we have been training nonstop since dawn.
"You and me both brother." I say as I pull my hair out of my face. I watch as my beta takes off his cloves and takes deep breaths. I sit down on the ground with my legs open as I look at my hands.
"I honestly do not know what I am doing, and I feel like I have to figure it out as soon as possible or else I will doom the whole pack." I confide in my friend what I feel like I have said over a thousand times to myself and to other people.
"You cannot allow yourself to lose balance Xander that is what will lead the pack to its doom. The rest, you will figure out one step at a time, we will figure it out." Chance stands before me and offers me a bottle of cold water.
He is right; Alex, you need to get you bloody shit together.
All I am saying is that I have to get my shit together as soon as I can. I defend.
"Look Xander, do not act like we have not made some progress. We have found out that Owen was the one who mind controlling us and that his kind does turn every night into sea creatures." I open my mouth to object, but he does not allow me to.
"I know, I know, we already knew those things, but we confirmed them; we are not just guessing about it anymore. Also, let us not forget the fact that now we know how Owen killed the warriors. We now know that his species can spread a decaying disease that kills the person within hours by just one touch. In addition, we discovered that his species get all their powers from the hole that they have in the middle of their heads. I always found that hat he wore a little unnerving; even before Shadow first saw his hole." I still give my friend a doubtful look.
"Look..." He crunches down before me as I open my water bottle and take a huge gulp.
"I know that you are not certain about this information given its source, and I know that you wished it would hold more valuable information on like where this realm of theirs is. However, we must take what we have and use it to move forward and form a plan. We cannot let negative emotions like doubt and fear stop us from doing what we have always done; protect the ones we love."
"Yeah, you are right." I look Chance in the eye as determination consumes my mind.
"Damn right I am." My beta smirks at me as he offers me his hand. I take it and he pulls me to my feet.
Do you always have to have a motivational speech from someone in order for you to get your bloody shit together?
Shut up Amoux.
It is unnerving Alex!
And you always make sure that I do not forget it.
Look, I know that with everything we have been through, it is easy for these bloody emotions to consume and manipulate you. But unless you make the choice to free yourself from them, from the past, they will continue to control you.
It is not that easy Amoux, I mean I have been trying to break free from them for over five years now.
I am not saying it is supposed to be bloody easy, or that it will happen during the span of a bloody week. You just have to keep trying until you succeed.
Thank you Amoux.
Of course.
"Are you okay brother?" Chance throws his bottle at me.
"I am fine; the question is whether you are fine." I raise my eyebrow at him.
"What do you mean? I am perfectly fine." He tries to act natural, but he fails miserably.
"Aha." I smirk.
"Look, it is nothing..." He trails off.
"It is giving you insomnia, so it is obviously something." I point out.
"I know it is worrying you too."
"Nolan you mean." My mood immediately turns sour.
"I have not heard from him in days, and he has not come home in like a week! Not to mention that Clay told me that he has not left Owen's side. Last night, I decided to see what the hell he has been doing, do you know what I saw?"
"He was spying at Owen as he swam in the waterfall. As if that sea snake can do anything while in the water." I answered him.
"How did you..."
"Like you said, you are not the only one worried about him Chance. The last time I talked to him, I tried to get him to open up, but he just said he feels restless and that Owen needs to be watched at all times even when he is trapped in water in his animal form. I can sense that something is wrong with him, but I cannot force him to talk to me about it. So, I honestly do not know what to do. Although I admit, his quietness bothers me; it makes me feel like something bad is about to happen." I growl.
"Yeah, ever since you and Shadow left to the other dimension, I have been feeling weird whenever I am around him." Chance's eyes turn pitch black for a few seconds before they return to their normal dark brown color.
"Yeah, it is almost like being around a stranger." I mumble as I glare at the ground beneath me.
"We should talk to him." Chance violently pulls at his curly hair.
"Like I said, I tried, it did not really work. But you are right; we cannot leave him like this."
"You tried, I did not. So maybe after we are done here, I will go and track him down?"
"Alright. Now let us talk about a lighter subject." I give my beta a wide smile.
"Like what?" He gives me a confused look.
"Hope." The mention of Amara's friend causes chance's cheeks to turn red.
I bloody knew it. Amoux screams in my head.
"There is nothing going on." He tries to lie, but he fails miserably.
"You do not have to talk to me about it if you do not want to. Al though I feel I am inclined to tell you that your attempts to be discreet are embarrassing. And to advise you to be careful; if suddenly you feel like your relationship with Hope is serious, you cannot move any further in it before rejecting Lorenza. I do not like her, but it is not fair to her for you to fall in love with someone else with the mating bond still existing between the two of you."
"I know that Xander. I like Hope a lot, I know it sounds weird, but whenever I am around her I feel like I am around my mate. However, given everything that is going on, I figured it is not the right time to make any final decisions. Who knows maybe it will not work out between Hope and I. Also, you know very well that I have been trying to reject her ever since I found out she was my mate. She acts like I am deeply in love with her."
"Do whatever feels right for you."
"Okay, thank you Xander." His eyes immediately turn back to black.
"Alpha." Mal, Chance's wolf greets me.
"Mal, it has been a while." I offer him a smile.
"Indeed."
"I suppose you want to train with Amoux." I give him a knowing look when he does not say anything more.
"If it is alright with you alpha."
"Of course it is fine by him." Amoux says as soon as he takes control.
It is my turn to train. Amoux says excitedly.