CHAPTER SEVEN

"You know, I think I can get used to you doing my hair every single morning." Shadow smiles in front of the mirror as I finish her French braid. Both of us sit on the floor before the body-length mirror in my closet. This time, I decide to put her entire hair into one braid rather than two. I love how she enjoys my fingers between her platinum locks as I make the braid.
"Well, I am willing to do your hair any day you want honey." I smile as I picture doing her hair when we are older.
"What happens if Owen goes to the cabin and does not find Amara there? He will not come and ask you." She changes the topic as I wrap the hair band around the end of the French braid.
She turns around to face me, and I see the unsettlement in her features. Also, she keeps biting on her lip piercing; she is nervous.
"What is on your mind?" I get closer to her and wrap my arms around her neck. The position is weird and almost uncomfortable since both of us are sitting down, but I do not mind.
"It is stupid, and it is certainly not the time for it."
"You are worried about living with my mother under the same roof." I realize.
"I told you I am just being stupid, so can we please not talk about it?"
She is not fucking stupid!
I know that Amoux! I do not know what to tell her!
My wolf exploits my moment of hesitation and takes over.
"You are not stupid, never say that." Amoux places our right hand on her cheek and gently moves her head so she can face us.
"Amoux." She whispers his name once she sees our pitch black eyes. As a result, my wolf lets out a low growl.
"You are one the smartest and bravest she-wolves I have ever met. Do not ever doubt yourself. No emotion you feel is stupid; it is normal to have silly or negative emotions. It is completely normal and there is no need to find them embarrassing." He is about to ask to meet Accalia the moment I regain control.
"Thank you Amoux." She gives him a smile knowing that he can see and hear her even though our eyes have turned back to blue.
You promised me that I will fucking meet her! He practically yells in my head causing me a headache.
And you will, I promise. I never break my promises, so why are you worried?
I am not worried, I am eager.
He angrily shuts me off.
"Alright, I think we should get going so we do not get there late because I want to go to the orphanage first."
"Alright." We get off the floor, and we leave the house. When I told Shadow about my plan to move Amara to the house, she insisted that she accompanies me, and I could not say no to her with the way she looked at me.
We walk to the orphanage hand in hand as I hum with the birds that move between the trees' branches. I am actually excited because I want Shadow to meet Emily and the rest of the children.
"I am excited to meet Emily." Shadow speaks up as if she reads my mind.
"Trust me, me too." I say as we approach the orphanage.
"Alpha Xander, we were not expecting you today." Jensen appears from the orphanage's front door and walks towards Shadow and I.
"It is just Xander, Jensen, and this is my mate Shadow." The older man's eyes sparkle when they land on her.
"The pack's savior, it is a pleasure to finally meet you." Both of them shake hands.
"Please, I am no savior." Shadow latches on to my arm once Jensen lets go of her hand. Jensen notices her discomfort, so he urges us inside and into the playroom where the children spend most of their time.
"Xander." Emily runs to me the second I enter the room. I immediately detach myself from my mate and pick the little girl up. I hug her as tight as I can.
"I missed you so much. How have you been?" I watch her tiny face as she smiles brightly at me.
"I am good. Is this her? Your mate?" Emily's gaze turns to Shadow.
"Yeah, do you want to meet her?" I take a step closer to Shadow with Emily still in my arms.
"You are so pretty. I love your hair." Emily does not even bother to introduce herself.
"Well, thank you. You must be Emily, Xander told me a lot about you." It does not go unnoticed by me or Amoux that she called me 'Xander', but I choose to try to ignore it even though it slightly bothers me.
I think she does not want the children to call you with the nickname she chose.
I think you are right Amoux. I have to admit I kind of like that.
"Will you help us build a Lego castle?" Matt along with the other children come up to us as I put Emily down.
"I like your earrings." Ashley's focus is solely on Shadow's piercings. My mate gets on her knees so she can meet the child's eyes.
"Earrings are the jewelry that you put in your ears. These, however, are called piercings." She points at the piercings that are on her face.
"They are really pretty." Ashley dreamily looks at the black star screw in shadow's nose.
"Well, when you grow up you can get one." Shadow gives Ashley a gentle smile.
"Xander, can your beautiful mate also help us with the castle?" Matt's innocent eyes beg me to say yes.
"Well, I think you should ask my beautiful mate and see what she says." I almost chuckle at the blush that appears on his cheeks when he looks at Shadow.
"Will you build a Lego castle with us?" Emily asks when Matt fails to direct even a word at Shadow.
"Of course." Within seconds, both of us are sitting on the floor with children who start to build their castle with the countless Legos that are on the floor. While the children are focused on the castle that slowly comes together, I only focus on my mate; how she makes sure to help every single child to put the pieces they desire in the castle, and how she completely abandons her walls while she talks with them; a child can never do anything that will seriously hurt you.
This is one of the most beautiful things I have fucking witnessed.
Yeah, I do not think I have ever seen Shadow smile this widely.
I never thought she would be the kind of woman to be patient.
Sadly, our time in the orphanage is cut short when we receive a letter from Josh.