CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Do you think other pack members feel the same way Mason does? I ask Amoux as I lay in my bed in the middle of the night.

What do you mean Alex? He sounds exhausted.

Did you hear what he said? About questioning your thoughts. I don't know why, but I assumed that only I felt this way.

Well you, we, weren't the only ones who got betrayed Alex.

I know, but I think I've been too obsessed with trying to save their lives, that I didn't consider their feelings. Just when I thought I couldn't be a worse alpha and leader.

Don't bloody say that Alex, you're a great man. You're their alpha, but you're only one person; you can only handle so much. It's true that you didn't think about their feelings, but for years, all you've cared about is saving them. You care about their lives, and that is all that matters.

Still, I feel like it's not good enough. I feel like I'm leading this pack to its doom. I don't know what I'm doing Amoux. And I'm afraid someone might see that I'm lost.

We will figure it out Alex, we always do. As you said to me earlier today, we will be okay. I believe that, and so should you. I try to believe his words, but I can't, especially since Clay and Mason couldn't make Owen talk.

I feel like we are waiting for our demise. And I'm worried that I will have the blood of everyone in this pack on my hands.

I growl lowly in frustration and get out of bed. I walk out of my room, and I immediately hear Shadow's low snores from the room next to mine. I smile softly at the cuteness of the sound, and make my way inside.

I slowly walk towards the bed, and I smile again, only this time I do it because of Amoux's low growl.

She is... My wolf struggles to find the right word to describe our mate.

I know. I answer as I make sure that the duvet covers Shadow's entire body.

I give her a small kiss on the temple before I make sure the windows are closed. As I do, I notice a hoodie of mine on her couch. I can smell Shadow's scent on it which makes me feel joy. This little spark of happiness banishes away my bad feelings for just a second.

In this single second, I forget everything that weights me down; I forget everything that makes me feel lost. There is only her and the little things she does, things I've always wanted to have, but never thought I could. Having my mate steal and wear my clothes is definitely one of them.

With a smile still on my face, I grab the hoodie and put it on. Amoux lets out another growl of content at the feeling of wearing something that has both mine and my mate's scent.

I quietly get out of the room, and find myself walking towards the front porch.

Are you seriously considering it Alex? Amoux asks once I sit on the steps of the front porch.

Considering what? I stare at the woods surrounding the house, and I try to focus on its beauty.

The insane plan that is forming in your head. Alex, it won't work, and even if it does, there is a lot we'll surely lose. It's not worth it, we'll figure out another way.

What other way Amoux? I don't know if you've been paying attention, but we're losing a game that we don't even know anything about.

We don't know nothing Alex. We've managed to disclose many things; don't underestimate what we've achieved.