Attempted Robbery

Mal's POV:

We made our way to the museum and I said to Evie impatiently, "Come on. Check your mirror."

Evie frowned and asked, "Is my mascara smudged?"

I nodded. "Yeah. And, hey, while you're at it, why don't you see if you can find us the wand?"

"Sure. This way."

We stood outside the museum entrance. We saw a guard turn and ducked out of the way.

When we returned, Jay noticed my mom's wheel. "That's your mother's spinning wheel?"

I nodded and Carlos scoffed. "Yeah, it's kind of dorky."

I rolled my eyes. "It's magic. It doesn't have to look scary. 'Magic spindle, do not linger. Make my victim prick a finger.'"

"Impressive," Jay said.

"I got chills," Carlos added.

I frowned slightly. "Okay, you know what? 'Prick the finger, prick it deep. Send my enemy off to sleep.'"

"Ooh!" the security guard sitting at the desk exclaimed. He touched the spinning wheel and laid on the spinning wheel pedestal and fell asleep.

I smirked. "Not so dorky now, huh?"

"Dorky and this isn't smart," Thea said, appearing.

I glared at her. "What are you doing here?"

"You were plotting something nefarious. I'm making sure you don't do it."

"Thea, go back to school."

"No. You guys are trying to steal something from where I live. I'm not gonna let you."

"I warned you I would-"

"Yes, I know what you said. But trust me, you're not gonna steal it. And it's going to be fun to see you fail."

"Fail? Please." I looked at her for a moment. "You're not as nice and sweet as you make it seem, are you?"

"When people threaten my home, no."

Jay said, "Stand back."

"'Make it easy, make it quick, open up without a kick,'" I read.

"Ahh!" Jay cried, landing on the floor after his attempted kick.

"Coming?" Mal asked.

They followed me inside and Carlos glanced back. "Come on, Jay."

He shook his head. "I'm good."

Carlos pursed his lips. "Just trying to help."

I glanced at him. "Shh. Carlos!"

"Coming," he answered.

Evie looked in her mirror. "So close. Upstairs."

"Come on," I said. "Go, go, go, go. Up, up, up, up, up."

We ran up the stairs and Evie called out, "Come on, guys. Almost there." She paused, seeing waxed figures of our parents. "Mommy?"

I walked up to the waxed figure of my mother. "Killer," Jay said, noticing his dad.

Carlos shuddered slightly. "I will never forget Mother's Day again."

Jay looked around the room. "Well, the wand's not here. Let's bounce. Let's go."

"Always thought they were creepy," Thea muttered.

I continued staring at my mother's waxed figure. "Mom, I don't want to fail you, but what if I do? What then? Will you welcome me back?"

The figure remained silent. "Of course you don't answer."

[Evil Like Me]

Evie ran into the room. "Hey, I found the wand."

I stared at the still figure of my mother before running after Evie.

"Here it is," Evie said.

"Whoo!" Jay cheered.

He readied to go under the barrier and I cried, "Jay, don't! Wait, no! No! Don't! Ah!"

Jay reached for the wand and as soon as his hand hit the force field, sirens started blaring and Carlos' eyes narrowed. "A force field and a siren?"

"That's just a little excessive," Jay noted.

"Let's go!" I cried.

"Hurry," Evie said.

"Come on."

Carlos pressed a button. "Hello? Uh, uh, just give me one second. One second. Uh, yeah, yeah. No, false alarm. It was a malfunction in the, uh, in the 714 chip in the breadboard circuit. Yeah. Okay. Say hi to the missus."

"Carlos!" I yelled.

"You're welcome," Carlos answered sarcastically.

I turned angrily to Jay. "Way to go, Jay. Now we have to go to school tomorrow."

Thea smirked at me. "Told you you'd fail."

"Shut up."