❁ Chapter 24 | nina

Start from the beginning

Except- not his company.

He wanted Harry to build a life for himself- one that was successful and one that he could brag about to his snobby rich friends.

But the thing is, Harry was successful.

He did built a life for himself.

So why wasn't he satisfied or proud of his son?

Harry became a writer- a passionate one with an extremely big and talented heart. He has millions of people lining up, wishing they could take his place and I'm not so sure Thomas has that.

Harry grew his own family. He appreciates his life, priorities his daughter and I love that about him.

He cares so much.

Harry and I promised we would do everything to ensure our daughter is loved.

This was extremely important. Especially to Harry because he'd wanted to be an amazing father unlike his dad.

Thinking back to that promise that we had both made, I know that we would both be keeping it regardless of where our relationship stands and we weren't going to think any differently just because we weren't together anymore.

"Hey, sorry I'm late." I say out of breathe as I enter the office. "I had to drop my daughter off at school and traffic was an absolute nightmare."

Nancy looks up from her screen to see me on the other side of her desk. Giving me a smile before responding.

"Hi Nina! You're alright honey, I don't think anyone is even focused on work right now with the whole promotion celebration." Nancy says with a slight chuckled laugh.

I don't completely take her words in but when I do, I find myself doing double take.

"Promotion? Someone's getting promoted?" I ask curiously.

As far as I knew, Holmes didn't have any plans to promote anyone. This was news to me.

"Ethan!" She smiles. "Holmes promoted him to managing editor. Thought you'd know since you both talk to each other."

Ethan?

This has to be a joke.

I can't seem to find the words to respond with, so I walk past her and reach my cubicle.

As soon as I enter the room, I realize there's rarely anyone working. Most of the staff seems to be gathered behind the transparent walls, inside of the meeting room.

Music can be heard blasting and  I'm able to see bright colored decorations as everyone surrounding Ethan. I watch him hold up a wine glass, preparing to toast along with everyone else in the room. Holmes stands proudly beside.

Slowly, I approach them still not quite believing what I was witnessing.

As soon as I step a foot inside, Melanie- a reporter offers me a glass of champagne but before I can even open my mouth to refuse, she hands it to me anyways.

"I would just like to give a huge thank you to Daniel Holmes here who has promoted me to managing editor. I cannot thank you enough for this opportunity..." Ethan starts off. "I've worked very hard to get here and I'm glad Holmes was able to recognize my attribution and hard efforts to keep this paper going. Therefore, I'd like to raise a toast for Holmes. I promise I'll make you proud. Cheers."
He finished off raising his glass.