Chapter 33: Nostalgia

Eren POV:

A week had gone by and I hadn’t gotten any more out of Levi. The things he told me, however, were still fresh in my mind. I was on the roof, as always. Sorting my thoughts, my mind would sometimes try to visualize the things Levi described making me want to throw up. Honestly… Why couldn’t I have a normal life? I heard the door open and I turned to look at who it was.

Sasha POV:

I just felt like coming to talk to Eren. I didn’t know why, I just felt like I needed to. (Plus the author sidelined me and Mina for a while so I figured I needed to show up for a chapter or two.)

Eren turned towards me. I can’t believe I forgot how beautiful his eyes were. I shook the thought out of my head. When he saw me his eyes brightened and it made my heart jump.

“What’s up Sasha.” A small smile played itself onto his lips.

“Nothing really, I just figured it’s been a bit since we last talked.”

“Oh. Yeah, it’s been quite a while. How you been?” He walked over and sat with his back against the wall.

“Fine I guess. Mina’s been doing good as well.”

“I know, we text often.” Oh yeah, I forgot that was an option. I mentally face palmed before sitting next to him.

“What about you? How have you been?”

“Good, nothing interesting has happened as of late.” I could tell he was lying but didn’t push him. Before I could say anything else the door opened.

A blonde-haired boy stepped out. “Eren.” Armin took a couple of steps before turning around and spotting us. I slightly giggled.

“I see you’re hopping back on the train.” I could tell he was talking to me but didn’t understand what he meant.

“What do you mean?” He shook his head.

“Nevermind.” He turned towards Eren. “Hange wants you in her class.” Eren nodded and stood up. After he left me and Armin I spoke up.

“Is it about the people who kidnapped him?” Armin just shrugged.

“I don’t know, but it probably is.” He turned and walked over to the railing, looking out towards the ocean.

“Why do you and Eren like watching the ocean so much?” He glanced back at me before returning his gaze to the horizon.

“Has Eren ever tried to explain it to you?” Eren’s explanation came to my mind.

“Yeah, but I couldn’t understand what he was trying to say.” Armin sighed.

“I can’t explain it either, it just feels important. I get nostalgic when I look at it. Eren was the only one who understood and shared that sentiment.”

“I don’t really get it, how can you be nostalgic for something you see everyday?” He gave a light chuckle.

“I figured you wouldn’t understand.” We stayed in silence for a bit after that. Looks like I won’t be able to shake things up in this chapter but I’ll be back.

Eren POV:

When I walked into Hange’s class she told me to shut and lock her door, I obliged. I looked around and saw Annie sitting in her usual spot. This is definitely about my dad.

Hange took a deep breath before starting. “I’m honestly stumped. I have no idea what your dad is up to. But I’ll tell you what we’ve found out so far. So we examined the bodies that were coated in slime. As it turns out, that slime is saliva.”

I spoke up. “So he has animal’s doing this?” Hange shook her head.

“That’s what we thought at first, but the saliva was also on the bodies that had chunks missing. There aren’t animals that can chomp a person in half. Not on land anyway. So after more examination, we determined that the saliva was extremely similar to human saliva.” A thought that made my skin crawl flashed in my mind. No, that’s not possible.

“At this point we think that your dad is toying with us. It feels like a wild goose chase.” She’s right. The evidence leads to a dead end.

I could tell that none of us knew what to make of it, and after a while Hange just let us go. Terrifying images flashed through my mind. I shook my head. Why the hell do I keep thinking about that. It’s impossible for those to exist.

Annie POV:

When Hange explained what she had found I was instantly reminded of my nightmares. I didn’t say anything because I felt that it was stupid. I tried to push the memories out of my head, but to no avail. Ughhh. I feel like I’m going insane. Why do these keep coming back. And after I hadn’t had a nightmare in so long. I shook my head and went to the library.

Armin POV:

I saw both Eren and Annie walk out of Hange’s classroom. They both looked shaken up and scared out of their minds. I ran up to Eren. “Eren. What the hell happened?”

“Oh, uhhh, it was nothing.” I gave him a stern look.

“I’m not stupid, You’re clearly shaken up. Now… you’re going to tell me what happened or I’ll tell Mikasa that something happened to you. She’ll be all over you for days, weeks even.” He gave a small laugh, it seemed forced though.

“Jesus Armin, sometimes you say the scariest things.” I kept my stern gaze on him making him crack. As he told me the things Levi told him about a week ago, the things Hange had told him, and about his nightmares I got shivers down my spine. I felt the same type of feeling I got when I looked out towards the ocean. The only difference was that when he explained it to me I felt an overwhelming sense of fear.

So this is what fear really is… I feel cold all over. Nothing I’ve ever felt has come close to this, it feels… digusting. I tried to shake the feeling away but it wouldn’t leave. Instead it seemed to be getting worse. I was getting colder and colder. Why won’t this feeling go away?

A/N

I hoped you enjoyed the chapter. I wonder if y'all see where this is going or if you guys caught on to the foreshadowing. I've honestly been hinting towards the ending since the beginning chapters. This fanfic is coming to it's end, though I'm not sure how many chapters are left. I also just threw Sasha in there because I liked her character in SnK and just thought it'd be a nice touch.