Chapter 27: Acceptance

Sasha POV:

I woke up and got ready for school. I made up my mind to ask Eren about himself, but I still needed to figure out how.

Eren POV:

I walked into the cafeteria and sat in my usual spot. Mikasa then sat in front of me as always. She didn’t bother to greet me. I ran my eyes over her. She looks depressed. Nothing I can do about it though. Soon people filled the cafeteria. Sasha sat right next to me, though she seemed a bit uncomfortable. What’s that about?

All of a sudden I hear Connie yelling. “DAMN EREN. THAT’S A BIG ASS HICKEY.” My face flushed red and so did Sasha's. Mikasa’s head shot up. Did she not see it before? Her eyes landed on my neck. She stared at it for a bit before looking back down. I feel so bad…

The bell rang and I went to class. Again Mina sat with Krista, not that it bothered me. She seems to be handling this better than Mikasa. Class passed by fairly quickly, so did the rest. I stayed a bit after the bell for lunch rang. More like I hadn’t noticed it ring. I was thinking about why Sasha was uncomfortable around me.

I eventually noticed everyone gone. I got up and walked out. I was walking towards the roof when I saw Connie and Sasha. I took a step closer. Are they kissing? I blinked to make sure my eyes weren’t playing tricks on me. Sure enough I wasn't hallucinating. Huh. Well that’s happening. 

I decided to put it aside for now and walked up to the roof. I wonder why I don’t feel anything…

Sasha POV:

Connie had acted so quickly that I couldn’t pull away. I saw Eren stop a bit away from us. My eyes widened. Eren… no. Please understand. I saw him walk away. I pushed Connie off of me.

“What the hell Connie?” He just stared at me like he hadn’t done anything wrong. I ran up to the roof and was about to burst out the door but I heard voices. Something kept me from going out. I cracked open to see Annie and Eren. Eren was talking.

“-yelf out.” What was he saying?

“You know it’s alright to cry, or even be mad.” I had closed the door slightly leaving it barely open for me to hear their conversation.

“Yeah. But for some reason I don’t feel either. It’s like I was expecting something like this to happen.” My heart dropped. He expected that to happen? What does that mean? He let out a bitter laugh. “Karma’s a bitch huh?”

“It’s not karma. If Sasha couldn’t see your worth then that’s on her.” No Eren… that’s not what happened. 

“Maybe. I need to take my mind off of things.” I was confused out of my mind. What does he mean?

“So you’ll be leaving then?”

“I’m not sure.” He’s leaving because of me?

“Well whatever happens just make sure not to do anything stupid.” I didn’t hear anything for a bit and peeked out, Eren had his phone up to his ear. Who is he calling?

“Yeah, I know.”

“For a week?”

“That’s great, I’ll head home right now. I’ll be ready soon.”

“Alright Levi. Thanks.” He was talking to Levi?

“What happened?” Annie was talking now.

“I’ll be with the scouts for a week starting tomorrow.” He’s leaving? What if he gets hurt?

“So you’ll be back by next Friday?”