Chapter 45: Solace

Start from the beginning

"...I think that would be nice too." Sakusa mumbles. "Although, I don't find it particularly necessary."

"I don't either." Y/N chuckles. "Maybe I just found solace in accepting that sometimes things don't go your way."

"Yeah... How about you though?"

"Hm?"

"I don't mean volleyball. I want to know how you wish your future to be." Sakusa says as she blinks in surprise. "If you want to tell me, that is."

Y/N pauses slightly as she looks down and thinks. "I'm... not entirely sure." She breathes out. "Everyone dreams of happiness, I suppose it's the ultimate goal. We want to be happy with our circumstances, and achieve everything we wish for. Although, I suppose I don't need fireworks and celebrations to get to where I want to be."

Y/N smiles softly. "I guess... I just wanna take each day as they come, and do my best, maintaining the things important to me so I don't have any regrets later on, y'know? Perhaps I do dream big, but I don't need them. I think... I just wanna be able to feel happy, even without them."

Sakusa mulls over her words as he thinks over the events that unfolded through the day. From his first match to his last, from Iizuna's injury to Hinata's collapse. Many of the players here have their sights set on that final victory, to be the champions of the Spring Tournament. But what does he truly want?

He wants to take care, do things properly and carefully, to the best of his abilities. So that even if he doesn't make it to the grand finale he dreams of, even if his ending comes partway through his journey, even if his dreams get cut short...

No matter where or how it ends, he wants to be satisfied with everything, and to be able to smile and think; he really did his best, and he's satisfied.

Sakusa doesn't need victory. He just needs to do things right.

"How about you, Sakusa?" Y/N asks quietly after a moment as he glances at her. "D'ya know what you want?"

Sakusa gazes over her for a few moments as he nods ever so slightly. "I think I do... I think I know now."

Y/N smiles softly at him as she nods. "That's good."

Sakusa fiddles with his fingers before glancing at her again. "L/N-"

"N/N, we needa go, Coach is gettin' everyone on the bus." Osamu interrupts as they both glance at him.

"Ah, alright." Y/N nods. "Umm, I guess I'll see'ya later, Sakusa."

"...Yeah."

Y/N smiles sheepishly as she waves and walks over to Osamu who raises his eyebrow in confusion.

"...Am I interruptin' something?"

"Uhh..." Y/N trails off as she follows after Osamu. "Well..."

"Wait."

Y/N flinches in shock as Sakusa tugs the sleeve of her jacket, turning around as she looks up at him, eyes wide open from surprise.

"Thank you." Sakusa says simply as Y/N blinks in confusion, brain short-circuiting as she tries to understand what's happening.

"Ah- ye- um... uh?" Y/N stutters out as Osamu glances back and forth at the two of them, eyes wide open in shock.

After a few moments of her floundering, Sakusa smiles.

"I'll see you later."

Letting go of her jacket, Sakusa nods once more, smile still gracing his lips as he turns away, leaving the two Inarizaki students frozen in confusion.