Chapter 2- Crushed Hopes & Dreams

1 p.m. The DJ taps on his microphone. “Unfortunately, the boys are running a few minutes late. They should be arriving shortly. It has reached 100 degrees out here, so please make sure to get some of the free Vitamin Water or lemonade that is being passed out.” “Do you want to go get some lemonade?”, I ask my friends. “I don’t want to leave this spot, we won’t be able to see anything if we move.”, Nicole points out. “I think they’re coming around with it anyway, let’s just wait here.”, Alice suggests. “Cookie cake?”, we turn around to see a woman offering us a slice of cookie cake. She pushes along a cart that is also filled with Vitamin Water and lemonade. “Sure, and could I also have some lemonade please?”, I ask. I glance down at the cookie cake as she slices into it. It says “Welcome, One Direction”.

                About an hour passes, and finally, a big black bus comes around the corner. “IS THAT THEM?”, a girl next to us screams. The DJ stops the music. “Looks like One Direction are here! Who’s ready?!”, he shouts into the microphone. Then, he explains what is going to happen: “Have any of you ever heard of the show “Good Morning America”?”, he asks. There are cheers among the crowd of thousands. “Well they are here to film a special on One Direction. They will interview them for a few minutes first, they will film some of you, and then the boys will begin the signing; Here they come!” The crowd roars in excitement.

                Finally, I see one of the boys. Zayn. He waves to the crowd as he walks up onto the stage. A man from “Good Morning America” attaches a small microphone to the top of Zayn’s shirt. I can see Paul standing beside the black bus, talking to someone inside. “It must be one of the boys.”, I think. I wonder which one.  Next out of the bus, is Niall. He smiles and waves. Liam, Harry, and Louis follow.

Once all the boys have gotten their microphones and are sitting on some chairs on the stage, the interview begins. I can’t hear a thing- the crowd won’t stop screaming. “SHHH!”, Alice tries to quiet them down. I can barely see a thing, as a group of people have pushed their way in front of us. There are friends sitting on their friend’s shoulders just so they could see. They switch off every few minutes. We have to move around a few times to make room for paramedics. Some girls have fainted, as well as a boy. Probably because of the heat and the overwhelming emotions at the same time. “Liam is dancing!”, someone from in front of us shouts. I really wish I could see.

After about half an hour, the signing finally begins. The line moves quickly, and as Directioners come back after meeting the boys and getting their books signed, they are crying hysterically and holding up the book for everyone to see. Why can’t that be me?

Where the line once was is now just open space. Thousands of people have already left, including the boys. I can’t believe I didn’t meet them. I can’t believe I came here just to watch everyone else get what I want so much.

My friends leave. I decide to stay at the mall for a while longer thinking maybe I can meet some of the other Directioners who were still there. I see a group of girls, but I am too shy to go up to them. My heart literally feels like it’s been stomped on. I woke up this morning thinking I would meet the boys, thinking that they would actually know that I exist. But I was wrong… Or was I?