eighteen

supernatural ; jane

⠀⠀⠀When I woke, Calum wasn't there. I quickly stood up from my bed and turned off the music playing from my iPod, which he must've started playing last night. I also checked the time, it was seven thirty in the morning.

⠀⠀⠀I opened my blinds and looked out the window to see Calum's car no longer there. I furrowed my eyebrows and quickly got dressed before walking downstairs to find my mother, who was in the kitchen eating a bowl of cereal. "Good morning," she greeted me, before putting another spoonful of the mushy food in her mouth.

⠀⠀⠀"Hi, mum. Uh, have you seem Calum around?" I asked, placing one piece of bread in the toaster and turning around to face her.

⠀⠀⠀"Last night he said he was going to see a friend, but I didn't hear him come back here, I went to bed pretty early." She told me.

⠀⠀⠀I nodded slowly. "Where's my father?" I had started calling him father since my mum came home from the business trip. I knew that he was being violent to my mum, but I was too afraid to say anything. I believed that a dad wouldn't abuse his wife, or emotionally hurt his own daughter. I had a father, not a dad.

⠀⠀⠀"He left last night, too." Mum said sadly. She stood up and walked around the counter, rinsing her bowl and putting it in the dishwasher. "Sit down, I'll butter it," she told me quietly as the toast popped.
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀I obeyed her and held my head in my hands. "What is with boys and leaving all the time?" I groaned quietly.

⠀⠀⠀"I don't know, dear," she whispered, handing me my toast and taking a seat next to me. "I'm unsure if your father will come back to us, but I know that Calum won't leave you for as long as forty two hours."

⠀⠀⠀"You don't know that, though."

⠀⠀⠀My mother briefly laughed, "You've always been so oblivious to everything... The way he looks at you, talks about you. He, he loves you, Annie, he really loves you."

⠀⠀⠀Just then my phone rang, and I looked down at the counter hoping it to be Calum, but it was just Luke. I looked at my mother questioningly and she nodded, standing up to clean the kitchen.

⠀⠀⠀"Luke? Hi," I answered quickly.

"Annie, he had to leave." Luke said quietly.
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀"What? Who? What's wrong, Luke?" I prayed he wasn't referring to Calum.

⠀⠀⠀But my hopes shattered and so did my heart, as Luke said his name. "He left us a note, me and Michael, and Jake and Liz. We haven't heard from Ashton, either. Do you know where they went?"

⠀⠀⠀"Oh my gosh, no I don't, but my mum said that Calum told her he was going to see a friend last night." I told him, handing mum my plate and kissing her cheek before walking upstairs to my room.

⠀⠀⠀"He would've been going to see Ashton," Luke whispered quietly. "Okay, that's cool. He hasn't left you a text or anything, has he?"

⠀⠀⠀I shook my head, saying a quiet no.

⠀⠀⠀"Alright. Jake said I should tell you. If you hear anything from him, let us know, will you?"

⠀⠀⠀"Yes, of course. I'll see you."

⠀⠀⠀After hanging up with Luke, I decided to clean my room. I was going to sulk and just lay in bed because, Calum left the others a note but not me. But then again they were his family, but it still hurt my feelings.

⠀⠀⠀I made my bed, only to lay in it an hour later and watch The Walking Dead. I kept checking my phone, wanting Calum to text me or call and say he was coming home. But he didn't.

⠀⠀⠀I didn't remember closing my eyes, but my mum was shaking me awake with the home phone pressed to her chest. I rubbed my eyes as she frowned and handed me the phone, walking over to my drawers and grabbing clothes, chucking them into a duffle bag.

⠀⠀⠀"Hello?" I said into the receiver. My voice was croaky so I coughed.

⠀⠀⠀"Annie, it's Liz, honey." Liz answered, her voice soft and as smooth as always.

⠀⠀⠀I abruptly sat up. "Liz . . . Hi."

⠀⠀⠀"You're staying with us for a week or so while your mother is out of town for a while. There's also another reason, but your mother doesn't know that. I offered for you to stay here and she thought nothing of it, and don't tell her anything. Something happened with Calum, I'll explain the rest when you get here."

- -

⠀⠀⠀"Where are you going, Mum?" I asked as she hands me my duffle bag.

⠀⠀⠀"Florida. Your father is there and he wants me there for the business. I'll be a little over two weeks. Jake and Liz will look after you, and if you . . . need something, Val said he will help with anything and everything." My mum kissed my forehead and we said goodbye's before she drove away.

⠀⠀⠀I turned around and Jake was standing in the doorway of his house. I quickly ran up to him, "What happened with Calum?" I asked instantly as I followed Jake inside. I heard a noise that sounded like something smashing, and then Liz screamed. Jake hurried into the joint kitchen and living room.

⠀⠀⠀Ashton was back, he had several bruises on his bare torso. Luke's chest was heaving up and down as he stared at nothing, and Michael's head was in his hands. Jake had his arms wrapped around Liz who looked petrified, and I looked to the wall where there was a dent, and on the floor by Liz's feet were smashed pieces of glass. 

⠀⠀⠀I was confused, and carefully tried to weave my way through the glass and step over to Luke but he picked up another plate and glared at me. "Leave me alone. Leave us alone. We-Calum's gone now, and it's all because of you, if you weren't such a loser and didn't get picked on at school then Calum would never had looked at you and never had pretending to fall in love with you but he did and I hate you for tha-" He then suddenly threw the plate at me but before it could hit me, Michael had pushed me out of the way.

⠀⠀⠀I gasped and looked at Luke, stepping forward again and touching his bicep which had a lot of effect on him. He closed his eyes and it was quiet for a few minutes before he re-openen them and welcomed me into a hug. I was surprised and before I could hug back he pulled away and kissed my forehead, "I didn't mean that." I nodded.

⠀⠀⠀Jake and Liz and Ashton stayed in the kitchen to clean whilst Luke told me to meet him out in front of the garage. He appeared a few minutes later with a pair of car keys in his hand. "Adelaide, that's where he's more than likely headed. Ashton lost his scent on that highway, and we have friends who live in the city. You made him leave, you make him come back."

⠀⠀⠀I nodded once and took the car keys out of his hands. He gave me another hug before helping me into the car. "Please, make him come back," was the last thing Luke said to me before I drove away from his family. Calum's family.

⠀⠀⠀I needed to get Calum back for them, and me.

--

a/n guys this story is @ 980 reads i started crying in class just before bc i'm 20 reads away from 1k do you know how much that means to me like i get 5-10 reads everytime i come on here which is like every twenty minutes oh my goodness i love you guys a heap have an upd8 and keep voting n commenting too bc i like to interract w/ ya's . .xxxxxx