Chapter 1- The Twist

People say that sometimes it’s best to keep certain things a secret. But this is my choice, and I want to share my story with the world.

     June 2nd, 2012. This was the day. The day I finally got to meet my idols. I woke up at 3 in the morning just to get ready. My mom and sisters told me I was crazy, but I didn’t care. I was going to meet the 5 boys who had been making me happy for 2 years! I wanted everything to be perfect.

     I got to the signing at around 7 am. There  was already a line of about 100 people. I got in line and waited for my friends Madison, Sarah, Nicole, and Alice to show up. Before I knew it, they were standing beside me. “Hi Emily!” Nicole said, “I’m so tired! I barely got any sleep. We are going to meet the boys, I still can’t believe it!” “Nicole, calm down! You don’t want to be all jumpy when you meet them, do you?”, Alice said. “What time did you guys wake up?”, I asked. “5:30”, Nicole and Sarah said simultaneously. Nicole had slept over at Sarah’s house that night, so they woke up at the same time. “4”, Alice added. “6”, said Madison.

     Just then, a security guard interrupted. “Do you have your wristbands?”, he asked. “What wristband?”, Alice responded. “If you don’t have a wristband, you can’t go up to the table to get your books signed.” “Where do we get a wristband from? How much are they?”, I questioned. “Free, but they only gave out 500 and they have all already been distributed. Sorry, but you’re going to have to stand back behind the line and you can watch."

     Disappointed. Upset. Frustrated. Those are the words I could use to describe exactly what I was feeling at that moment. I was nearly in tears. Everyone deserves to meet their idols, so why couldn’t I? “Let’s go,” Nicole said, and she sighed. I stood there, frozen for a few seconds, until Alice tugged on my sleeve and pulled me along. I pulled out my phone to call my mom to pick me up. “Don’t you wanna stay?”, asked Sarah. “Why? What’s the point? We won’t get to meet them”, I said. “Yeah, but maybe they will see us. And we will get to see them- ACTUALLY SEE THEM- in person!”, Madison explained. “Ok.”, I agreed, though I was still upset.

     Little did I know, that decision would make the biggest difference that you could ever even begin to imagine.