Underneath

I try to move off of Cameron's lap but he tightens his arms around my waist and doesn't allow me to move.

"Are you fucking kidding me with this shit? This is the 'thing' you guys had planned?!" Carter looks furious and it just makes Cam's statement seem even more true because why else would he be so mad?

"Why so mad Carter?" Cam says mockingly. I can see the rage rising in Carter's face. He's breathing rapidly and he opens and shuts his mouth a few times.

"Carter..." I start but I trail off because I honestly don't know what to say to him. I'm not going to apologize for wanting to spend time with Cameron alone. I also don't know if I even want to address his obvious feelings for me, it would just be awkward.

"Are you jealous, Carter?" Cam says, taunting him. "Do you wish it was you with Nash on your lap? Kissing him? Holding him? Having him moan your name?"

Cameron brushes his lips against my jaw and smirks at Carter.

"Babe, don't..." I say softly. Carter is still my friend, I don't want to purposefully hurt him. I can see Carter's face fall when I call Cameron babe, I start to feel bad for him.

Carter's eyes water and he blinks rapidly. "How can you not see how vile of a person Cameron is? He takes joy in the misery of others. What do you see in him? He doesn't deserve you, Nash."

I start to reply but Cameron cuts me off.

"He clearly doesn't see shit in you, Carter. He's in love with ME, not you. He'll always pick me before you, he might not say it to you because he doesn't want to hurt your feelings but I don't give a fuck about you." Cameron tells him coldly.

I frown at how unnecessarily cruel Cameron is being to Carter.

"How can you love that, Nash? You guys are total opposites, you're so kind hearted. Cameron only cares about himself, he'll drop you and break your heart if that's what's convenient for him. It's so obvious that he's using you, " Carter tells me, his eyes pleading with me.

My mind wanders to Audriana and how Cameron treated her when he was no longer interested. He never really gave her an explanation as to why he stopped communicating so abruptly, and treated her like shit when she approached him for answers. Well, I had something to do with that but Carter is not wrong.

But he wouldn't do that to me, would he?

"I'll always fucking regret not making my move sooner, I never imagined you would fall for such an asshole, Nash. I care about you so much." Carter tells me, his voice cracking.

I bite my lip as I think of the times Cameron has blanked me, or left me and I've forgiven him. But that's just because he's struggled with the whole 'I'm attracted to my male best friend' thing. We've moved on from that, haven't we? He told me he loves me, that he's in love with me. I know Cameron, he wouldn't lie to me about that. Right?

But he also hasn't committed to me either, I've been calling him my boyfriend in my head but he hasn't asked me. My prior attempts at labeling our relationship have failed but that was before he told me he loved me. Why hasn't he asked me to be his boyfriend? Is he just using me like Carter is saying? I begin to feel unsure about everything, I hate this feeling.

I'm lost in my thoughts I don't notice that I haven't said anything and that I'm staring at Carter.

Carter begins to look hopeful that he's getting through to me. Cameron notices and tightens his hold on my waist.

"Baby, you're not actually listening to the bullshit Carter is spewing are you? He's manipulating you, he's using your insecurities against you. If he cares for you like he claims why would he want to make you unhappy?" Cameron murmurs urgently in my ear.