chapter 19- Home

your pov:

     "Goodbye, Spencer." I lean into his chest and give him a kiss.
    "I'll see you in a week," he says. "Love you."
     "Love you too." I say as I walk into the doors of the airport. "I'll see you in a week," I whisper. A little over, but we'll say a week for our sake.
     It's eight days until Christmas, and I'm on my way to Missouri. I haven't seen my mother in over two months, and I haven't seen my brothers in a year.
     I board the plane and take my window seat. An elderly couple sits in the other seats on my row. I smile at them before turning my phone on airplane mode.
     "How old are you, dear?" The older women asks from beside me.
     "26," I tell her.
     "Oh you're so young, and so pretty!"
     I smile "Thank you, ma'am. How long have you two been together?"
     Her husband is asleep in his isle seat. "Almost forty years."
     "Wow, that's really cool."
     "Do you have a husband?"
     "No," I shake my head.
     "Well do you have a boyfriend...or girlfriend?" She asks me.
     My face starts to flush. "Boyfriend."
     "Well he must be special, your cheeks are bright pink."
    I smile again. "He is."
    "Where'd you meet him?"
     "We work together."
     "What's your job?"
     "I work at the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit," I tell the nice older woman.
     "Wow, impressive."
     "Thank you."
     Her husband wakes up and they start into a conversation amongst themselves. I smile at them, wondering how someone could be with another for forty years. It's cool, though.
     I step out onto the cool air of my home town. I get a cab from the Kansas City airport, and give the driver directions to my mom's house.
     I use my key to open the door, taking in the sight of the place I grew up in. I took my first steps here, I left for my first day of school from this house, I hugged my oldest brother goodbye as he went off to college here (even though he only was a few hours away, I hugged my other brother goodbye as he went off to the same college two years later, I hung my diploma on my wall in my room in this house, and lastly, I hugged my mama goodbye as she cried. I was the only kid of hers who went out of state.
     Mom was devastated when I packed up and moved to Boston. She was obviously proud, but I'm her youngest child, and it was hard for her to say goodbye.
     When I walk in, I see multiple pictures hanging on the wall. A picture of each of us siblings on our graduation nights, and a picture of me with my badge on my first day at the BAU. I'd sent the picture to Mom, and she printed it immediately. There's a few pictures of my niece as well, some when she was a baby, one when she was a toddler, and a more recent one of her at the age of five.
     My mother greets me as soon as she hears my footsteps enter the house.
    "Y/n!" She gives me a big hug.
     "Hey, Mom!" I return her squeeze.
     "I'm making tea, do you want some?"
     I've always been more of a coffee drinker rather than tea, but I accept.
    "Your brothers and Zoey will be here soon," Mom says, handing me a cup of iced tea with lemon juice.
     "Thanks. And what about Emma?" Emma is my brother's wife.
     "She's coming tomorrow, she couldn't get off work today."
     Mom used to not like Emma, but she's accepted her now, especially after she gave her a grand baby. My oldest brother, Luke, never had kids. He was married for a few months before filing for divorce. He's been dating the same girl for a year now though.
Elijah married Emma when he was 24, and had Zoey a year later. She was born a bit after my 21st birthday. I was at BU, so that weekend I flew home to see her.
"How are you and Spencer?" Mom asks.
"You ask me this every time we talk," I laugh.
"I want to stay in the loop!"
"We're good. He's headed to Vegas right now to see his mom."
"I'd like to meet him again, introduce him to your brothers. And ya know, this time you guys not be lying to me."
I chuckle a bit, remembering the first time Spencer and my mom met.
"Yeah, totally. Sometime soon I hope. I'm meeting his mom next week after Christmas."
"You are?"
"Yep, I'm going to Vegas on the 27th. I'll stop by again before I go back to Virginia though," I tell her.
"Okay."
We talk for a while more until exhaustion hits me. I plop down onto the bed of my teenage room. It's a mess of color, unlike my apartment now which is mostly black, white, and silver. The white walls are filled with posters from old tv shows and pictures of me and my friends from high school. The bed spread is blue, which looks kinda funny with the purple sheets. There's a wood bookshelf against one of my walls with hundreds of books.
I see the first book I ever got on criminology when I was 17. I smile, remembering how excited I was. That's when I really got into my line of work.
My closet is mostly bare, just a few old clothes I never got rid of but didn't want to take with me.
I'm woken up by someone jumping on my bed. Zoey stares at me, sitting next to my hip.
"Hey kiddo!"
"Hi Y/n!"
I grab her into a hug and tickle her. She giggles and tells me she missed me.
"I missed you too, Zo."
I grab her hand, and we walk into the room where Mom and Elijah are hugging. He hugs me afterwards.
"How are ya, baby sis?"
Elijah and Luke still call me the baby even though I'm 26 years old. It's okay though, I suppose.
"I'm good! What about you, Mr business man?"
He laughs hugs me again. "It's good to see you."
I smile, half in question, half in happiness. Normally he'd just tackle me. "You too, E."
Elijah got promoted as head of his building in Columbia. He's working his way up to ceo of the company. He works creating apps.
"So who's your imaginary boyfriend again?" Elijah asks as we all go out to eat for a late lunch.
I roll my eyes. "His name is Spencer."
"Hmm."
Luke comes home about an hour after we're done eating. He gives me a hug and ruffles my hair.
"I missed you, Y/n."
"Aw. I sorta missed you." I tell him with a smile. "How're you doing?" I ask a little more softly.
"I'm better."
"Good."
Luke's girlfriend Jenny gives me a hug after introducing herself. I'm the only one that she hasn't met, since last Christmas she couldn't make it.
"Alright since everyone's here, we should watch a family movie!" Mom exclaims. But everyone's not here. My dad's been missing at every important thing for 16 years. It's too sad to think about, so I shove the thought out of my head while Zoey plants herself in between me and Elijah on the couch.
We watch How The Grinch Stole Christmas, which used to be my favorite Christmas movie, and then eat dinner. I help Mom make something real quick. Around ten pm, we all go our separate ways to sleep.
Luke and Jenny sleep in his old room, Elijah and Zoey take his, and I head off to mine.
"Daddy I have to pee!" I hear Zoey yell, running out of his room across the hall from mine.
"Then go pee, Zo bug!" He laughs.
I fall asleep thinking how good it feels to be home, and about how I hope Spencer has a good time with his mom.