Chapter 2

The world did not end in a bang, or a whisper, but rather, one scream at a time.

I was doing the dishes listening to the radio when it started going static. "Uhhg can't I just get one thing done today without interruptions in my music" I groan sliding my feet across the small kitchen to turn the torturess sound off.

When I push the power button I hear glass shattering in the hallway. I grab a knife out of the sink taking cautious steps to the living room. I put my back to the wall raising my knife up I peek my head around the corner.

Gasping at what I see, there's a man shuffling around with half his face gone he turns to me and starts moving towards me very quickly. Backing up he gurgle blood pouring out of his mouth. His eyes were a ugly opaque yellow where the white should be his teeth were covered in blood with chunks of meat stuck in-between them.

Running to the utility closet I try to close it as he reaches out and his arm out preventing me from latching it. I start screaming and he seems to push against the door with more vigor than before. " Dad" I scream hopeful that my someone will will hear me. I hear heavy footsteps run into the apartment "Malice" hearing daryl yell I smile "Kitchen" I scream back. Loud hurrying steps come into the kitchen then man gets pulled off the door daryl quickly stomping his head with his boot a couple times. He turned to me eyes wide "Did ya get bit scratched" he asked grabbing my shoulders looking l me over. I shook my head "No I'm fine he didn't even touch me."

He nodded "Okay pack ur bags n get anything you can use as a weapon we're leaving now"daryl orders rushing around the apartment grabbing anything and everything of use "Daryl what's going on" I grab his shoulder making him stop and look at me "I'll explain everything in the truck now go"he yells. Running to my room I grab my backpack shoving a few pairs of clothes and my knives and the bat my dad got me for my 16th birthday. "Mal c'mon" he yells rushing out of my room down the hall. I follow my uncle out of the apartment and down the stairs.

We bust through the door and someone ran into me "Gaahh" I scream as we fall to the concrete. Landing on top of me she tries to bite my shoulder, raising my legs to her thighs I push her off of me. Standing up I kick her back down on the ground, resting my foot on her chest. Her skin was a weird grayish color her eyes are yellow like the man in the apartment.

Swinging my bat down onto her face her blood splattering all over my arms. Looking up to my uncle and dad both of them watching my moves "What....." I ask.  They shake their heads turning around we get in the truck. I was is the middle uncle daryl was driving and my dad was next to me In the passenger seat.

Dad starting to chuckle "Mal are you okay did that bitch scratch you bite you anything" I shake my head "No dad I'm fine" I reassure turning my head to daryl "Really I'm okay" I assure they both nod their heads "Okay, great swing by the way" dad compliments making me smile "Thanks I learned from the best" they both start laughing. "Uhhhgggg we've been sittin here foreverrrr" I whine leaning forward with my head on the dashboard. They watch the cars in front of us, daryl puts his hand on my back rubbing in circles "I know Mal." Looking back at him I lean up puttinf ny head on his shoulder "I think I'm getting a headache." I groan again "Oh don't get all soft on me no-" Merle was cut of by an explosion making me jump "What the hell was that" huff I looking at both my dad and uncle "They bombed the city" I looked back to my dad. "Why would they do that" I question gripping my bat tighter "Tryin to get rid of the infection" Daryl explains starting the truck back up. I looked ahead while my dad and uncle started talking "look" I say pointing to the cars leaving.

I turn to my dad "Should we follow them" I ask his eyes glancing over me before falling to daryl be me " yea join the conga line baby brother" he sighs rubbing the stubble on his chin. "Hang on its gon get rough" daryl warns pulling off the road. I start getting tossed around like a rattle in a babys hands. We stopped on top of a hill next to a quarry parking farther away from everyone. Dad got out of the truck I followed after him "Dad can I go ahead and start putting the tent up" I queried, he looks back at me "Yea sweetheart if ya want to" he says nodding.  I walk to the back of the truck grabbing the tent "Wait mal we can do it" daryl objects "Why can't I do it" I protest. He puts his hand on the back of my neck "Cause we need to talk so go do whatever" he explains.   Reluctantly nodding I walk off mumbling under my breath "Ok whatever you say."