Chapter 41

It's been almost a month since dad died. A month of going on runs with daryl in the the cold; a month of me becoming distant. Rick carl and glenn have been trying to get me to open up. Carls been putting his comic books on my bed before I get back from the runs. A fake smile plasters itself on my face everytime I walk past somebody. The cheery face hiding the depression slowly settling in.

After what happened with the governor the group decided we have a lookout in the closest tower. "Lu" looking away from the chipped grey paint of the wall I look at glenns worried face. "Rick um, he wants to have a meeting" he hesitates his eyes darting around the grey room. Rolling my eyes I get up and shuffle to the doorway infront of him "What are you hiding Rhee" I ask my voice monotone.

Giving a gingerly smile he breathes out an awkward chuckle "I-I have no idea what your talking about." He says his voice getting higher in pitch rubbing the back of his neck. Squinting my eyes I get a little closer to his face "They told you not to say anything about what the meeting was didn't they." I say sighing and taking a couple steps back crossing my arms across my chest. "Yea" glenn huffs out defeated, sighing again I reach my hand out "Show me the way old wise one" I giggle dryly at my horrible joke.

Chuckling glenn turns around and walks with me behind him "You know I'm only older than you by a couple of years." Glenn says glancing over his shoulder before looking forward again. "Yep exactly" I simply answer before walking into the room with the original group. Rick steps forward and speaks "You haven't been eating much, you go on runs daily and taking multiple shifts i-" "Please" I Interrupt putting my head down taking a breath in. Looking back up my eyes scan over my small worried family "I'm going for a run I'll be back before sundown."

Turning around I walk away only stopping in the doorway to glance back at ricks worry stricken face. "Lucille" rick takes a step forward before daryl stops him with a hand on his shoulder. Swallowing my feelings I walk away going up to my room getting my gun and bat. "Do you think it's a good idea to go out there alone" I put my gun in my holster turning around to face rick. "I'll be back before sundown" I repeat walking past him putting on my jacket with the handle of my bat between my teeth.

Walking outside I shudder at the sharp cold wind hitting my exposed skin. "That's not what I asked" rick gruffs walking next to me. Ignoring him I open the car door, he slams his hand on the car door shutting it. "I'm losing you" rick breathes scanning my eyes with his. Leaning forward I plant a chaste kiss on his lips pulling away a warm smile on my cold face "You're not losing me" I mumble assuringly my hand resting on his face.

Turning around I get in the car putting my bat in the passenger seat. Biting the inside of my cheek when my lower back makes contact with the freezing leather. Not looking out the window I start the car before pulling out of the yard and down the driveway. Tyreese opens the rusted heavy metal door, pushing on the gas I drive out of the safety of my home and down road. Turning the heat on I sigh in relief when the warm air blows on my numb face.

Driving aimlessly on the road I remember certain things so I can get back home. I swerve a little bit to avoid hitting a walker "Can't risk getting in a wreck" I murmur in the warm empty car. Driving for a couple of miles I pass a driveway, pushing the brakes I back up turning into the overgrown gravel driveway. 'Lets hope there's something good in here' sighing I put the car in park before turning it off. Grabbing my bat I get out while scanning the outside of the small brown two story house.

Walking up to the gate I point my bat out slightly straining my ears for walkers. Lifting the latch I push the gate open hissing at the loud screeching coming from the hinges. Taking small steps I look around the overgrown bush; not seeing in walkers I rest my bat on my shoulder while I walk on the short sidewalk to the small front porch. Stepping on the cement block I turn the handle of the old worn out brown door smiling when it clicks. Pushing the door open I duck when a flock of birds fly over my head.