He wants her to be his . . . friend.

"Where's Raia?" Raiden asks in hushed tones, still clutching Cyrus's collar. His knuckles have turned white.

Cyrus's face softens. "Kara."

Raiden grips his collar tightly and glares at him.

"I'm asking where is Raia! Where is she?"

Cyrus flinches, surprised by his sudden outburst. Raiden had never before shown such intensity of emotion, and he's aware of it himself. But he doesn't mind. He's changing and he can't control it.

Cyrus gently places his hands on the boy's shoulders. "Kara, calm down. I already told you that Raia did it herself. She wanted to heal you -"

"I didn't want it!" Raiden growls. His dry lips quiver as he fights back tears, repressing an emotion he is unfamiliar with. "I didn't want her to heal me. I just can't bear the thought of other people having to bear my pain! Just thinking about it makes me sick to my stomach. I . . . I don't want anyone to suffer because of me. I don't want to feel any more guilt."

He lets go of Cyrus's collar and speaks in a raspy whisper. His eyes feel heavy from unshed tears.

"These emotions, they're burning inside me, and I hate it," Raiden says before walking out of the room and slamming the door shut behind him. He clenches his fists as he stares down the long white corridor ahead of him. Then he closes his eyes and takes a deep, painful breath before walking away.

***

Following Raiden's departure, an eerie silence descends into the room. For a brief moment, Cyrus and Sonnet listen to it, their heartbeats filling the void. They have a sagging posture and their heads hang low as if defeated.

"My, I guess I can't do anything. He's changed a lot, that boy," Cyrus says in a calm, tempered voice. He is worried for Raiden; the youngster is changing quickly, which he sees as both good and dangerous for the Order, the Ministry, and Raiden himself. "His rapid change and current emotional state are concerning, and a disciple should not succumb to his emotions."

Sonnet issues a soft sigh. "It will not be good if the leaders find out about this. They won't like the change in Raiden."

"I know. They weren't even pleased when I told them what happened. He was severely injured. If it wasn't for Raia . . ." Cyrus's voice trails off, and he sighs. "I fear I may have spoiled Kara a little bit. I could have prevented his change, but I didn't."

A smile forms on Sonnet's lips. "But, you know, I kind of like this new Raiden. To be honest, I don't like the old one; he was too bland and inhuman to be called a disciple."

Cyrus raises a brow. "Raia?"

Sonnet shoots him a glare. "Raia is nothing like that. She may appear that way, but I have a feeling she has a good heart. I think she's a good person on the inside."

Cyrus doesn't respond, but he understands what she means. Raia's behavior bothers him, he won't deny it. But he knows what she went through before Simon adopted her. And she's still a kid, so she has a lot of room to grow. Both as a disciple and as a person. But that doesn't mean he won't keep an eye on her. Raia is now a part of their organization, so he's her responsibility.