Chapter 15

Bill was leading him somewhere. Dipper didn't know where, but didn't want to ask. He sensed that words weren't needed for what they were doing now or what they were going to do – no, he kept walking obediently. His eyes were trained onto the demon's back, who hadn't turned to look back once. He was relying on Dipper to follow him, and Dipper wasn't one to disobey at this point.

In another world, another timeline, then maybe he would be running or fighting. He thought to all the other Dipper's out there and what he could've been doing. Would there be a universe where he was still talking to Mabel? Where he would be truly happy?

"Big thoughts lead to bigger outcomes. But now is not the time to think of the what-ifs." Bill said, able to read his mind. Dipper hummed, but said nothing and so the silence returned.

They were deep in the forest now, he knew that much – he could see goblins and fairies in bushes, watching him carefully. Dipper barely gave them a second glance, eyes only following the triangle.

He rubbed his wrist, feeling the skin tender and painful. When he lifted it up, he saw finger-shaped bruises wrapped around it. He didn't realise he had been held that hard.

"Here." Bill suddenly announced, his voice barely catching on the wind. It was a strange difference to the usual echoing laughter.

Dipper stopped, staring out in front of him. There was nothing different about this location from the rest of the forest, save for a few rabbits hopping slowly. Their wide eyes stared at Dipper, who stared back blankly.

"Capture one and bring it to me." Bill asked. Dipper, with a quick glance at the demon, did as he was told. One was lifted off the ground and moved towards them both.

Dipper waited in silence, lowering the rabbit to the ground. It quivered, but the teen kept it frozen in place as he waited for the teachings.

"This next lesson is the final lesson you will have with me before you are able to learn yourself." Bill began, hovering to Dipper's side. He didn't look at the teen but kept his eye on the rabbit. "And I want you to listen." Bill paused as the wind ruffled the trees.

"If you can't learn this then you will never be ready."

"I'm ready." Dipper replied quietly. The rabbit's ear twitched.

"Kill it."

Dipper froze, eyes widening at the soft words. Bill was still looking at the rabbit.

"Kill it." The demon repeated, more forcefully. "I want you to carve out its heart and bury it."

"What?" Dipper shook his head, heart hammering. The rabbit was staring at him, it's black eye burning into his own. "It hasn't done anything!"

"I know. So kill it." Bill hovered behind him and Dipper could feel his gaze burning into his neck.

"I-I-" Dipper took a step back, trying to look away from the frightened animal. It refused to take its eye from him, however.

Dipper wondered whether it knew its time was short.

"Everything dies, Mason." Bill said quietly. Dipper's breath hitched. "Mankind have a habit of killing those who don't deserve to. So you will do the same, and you will understand!"

"Understand what?!" Dipper yelled. He felt tears burn in his eyes when Bill didn't give an answer.

The wind was now a screaming gale, pushing Dipper forward towards the rabbit. He still hadn't let go of it, and it was hovering a few inches off the ground.

Leaves scattered around him as he walked forward, creating a circle around him and the animal. Something wet was dripping onto his cheek as he knelt down, already knowing what he was going to do.