The day of Mourning

chapter 4

The whole night of Saturday I stayed at the hospital sorting out the death certificates and other paper work of my dead fellows. Also I had to inform the relatives of the deceased ones. The next morning on Sunday I came home just for few moments to change my party clothes with the black mourning ones. After that I stated directly to the cemetery. There were ten to thirteen people most of them were relatives and town members. Everyone was in black showing grief and sorrow. It was raining in torrents. I did not have my umbrella as I was too crestfallen to carry it; some unknown carried over my head the whole time so I do not wet myself in such cold. Finally the bodies were in coffin ready to be lowered into graves, every eye soaked in grief, the pain of young souls' departure this world was on everyone. At the corner of one coffin I saw a middle aged women crying heavily, her beautiful flawless skin was covered in tears for then I got up and recognized she was Missy's mother and just like me left alone in this world. I went near her and put my hand on her shoulder in consolation "everything will get better ma'am! She was indeed a pious soul, may she rest in peace." I murmured sorrowfully. I don't know how I got my stamina and talk to someone about their loss where I myself was the one suffering awfully. After that I went to church to pray for the dead ones and make my heart at comfort too.

The rest of night I lay in my bed thinking what if we never got Hudson's number and they never come over to my place to console me and never die...

I barely slept of an hour in morning when my alarm beeped. I opened my tiresome eyes which were puffed up. It was hard to get up on Monday when you know that no one will be waiting for you in school hallway. No tight hugs from Missy, no fashion lectures from Azura and no sibling fights between Sara and Haden. Maybe it's an end to my swanky high school life.

But just a moment later I got a call from Mr. Henry Wale our school principal, he wanted me at the school as they have arranged a special mourning prayer for my friends. Obviously I had to be there plus sitting all day in my bedroom was just making me sick. I got up changed to clothes I thought would keep me warm and was comfortable. I grabbed my bag which was untouched the whole weekend, usually I get Mrs.Beth's homework done as she is a strict teacher but today I didn't even bothered to take her book with me , I know everyone understands my situation.

I entered the school hallway everything was same as it used to be the decorations on sides, the science projects on display, the group of cool dudes at the corner ,miss Jasmine carrying her loads of books from one class to other ,everything was same as before ...

As I stepped in everyone stopped and started staring me. It was uncomfortable maybe they were gawking at the inflammation of my eyes. I didn't know where to look as every face seems unfamiliar and foreign. Then a familiar soothing voice came from the back: "oh you are finally here!" it was principal Henry maybe the first time I had ever liked his presence very much , other times he was seen with an irritation on face . Missy used to call him Mr. Grumpy Henry. He came to me put his hand on my shoulder and said sympathetically "no one can change time of death nor can anyone cheat it .each one of us will die one day ,indeed it's a big loss for us all but you have to stay strong dear..." Further he added "... we have arranged a prayer for them at school church in recess hope you show up." then he went off.

It was time for my first lecture; instead of studying teacher called me at front and inquires the whole incident there were different questions from other students as well. The seat next to me was Azura's and it was empty, at front row two more seats were vacant where Sara and Haden used to sit And on my left Missy's seat was calling out for her. For the moment I lost my strength and got emotional breakdown and wept in front of whole class. The teacher told me to take rest in the cafeteria. Obviously I couldn't go to the place which was the sole reason of this nerve breaking incident. Instead I headed to the school playground which seemed a good choice to freshen_ up oneself; a few boys were playing basketball and shouting "pass!"--- "Hey pass it to me!" I didn't bother to look at them until the ball approached me followed by a tall guy. He said: "Ball please!" I picked up the ball and without looking, I handed it to him. "Are you okay? Kate!" it was indeed a familiar voice that made me look into his eyes "you? What are you doing here?

"Oh I came for the ball...but you don't seem alright?"

"I don't want to talk to you___leave me alone!"

Hey! Listen up buttercup, I know what happened to your friends and trust me it's sad, last year I also lost a close friend of mine in a car crash but look as time passes things get a lot better..."

Then he got seated beside me, while rolling the ball in his hand.

"Huh! Make sure your girlfriend doesn't catch you with me," I retort sarcastically.

"Listen cupcake! ___"

"Don't you dare call me that"

"Woh woh! Easy grumpy head, I was just easing the tensions between us"

"Easing the tensions? ___ you are the one creating it!"

Than talking on random stuff for a long time, we heard a bell ringing it was break time and we were supposed to be in church. The front row was empty so I went to sit there, Hudson followed me and sat nearby. As I looked forward I could see smiling faces of my dears! There pictures were printed out on large frames underneath was written: <we will never forget you!> Their pictures bought tears in my eyes. Then I saw something weaving in front of me, a white handkerchief; which was presented to me by Hudson. Yes, by Hudson! I was reluctant to take it but he urged me to have it. I wiped my tears and on the prayer started.