Sixteen: Well That Was Nice

"It's good to be home," Alyxia sighed in relief as she emerged from their dark alley into the tiny space which worked as the safehouse's front yard. She hadn't realised how much tension she'd been carrying on her shoulders since the meeting with the Alpha.

You'll have to learn to handle the pressure if you need to keep this act up successfully, she reminded herself. You can't let Reiley down.

As they entered their broom closet of a room, Reiley scanned her from head to toe. "You look terrible," she stated blankly.

"Wow, thank you so much."

"Just saying the truth," Reiley replied.  "Think you could benefit from a hot shower."

Alyxia's heart stopped for a second. "Wait a minute. You're letting me have the hot water privileges for the day?" Her heart almost burst with the hope filling her. Since the water in their bathroom was hot only for 10 minutes a day, the three of them usually had specific days when each could take a hot shower. And it seemed that Alyxia now had a respite from the frigid cycle.

Reiley shrugged. "Yeah sure, why not."

Alyxia immediately tackled her with a hug. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She heard a grunt, which she took as a 'no problem'. Or maybe it was a 'get off of me'. Either way, Reiley didn't pushed her away, so she counted that as a win.

"Hold up," Farron's voice broke through as Alyxia pulled away. "Reiley, you gave Alyxia hot water privileges? Today was my day though!"

Alyxia quickly flashed an innocent smile at Farron. "Is it alright if I steal it this one time? I hope you don't mind."

Farron blinked at her, and then shook his head as if to put a thought away. "No problem at all. It's just.." He trailed off wistfully, and Alyxia felt a twinge of pain in her chest.

"Well there has to be a solution!" She offered, stumbling over her words. "You can take my next hot water day. Or maybe we can share the hot water!"

Farron's eyes widened in surprise. "You mean... share the shower? You and I?"

This was when she knew, she messed up.

Alyxia felt white-hot embarrassment surge through her, turning her face a brilliant crimson. She mentally cursed herself for not thinking that suggestion through. What would Farron think about her now?

"That was not what I meant!" Alyxia burst out before her mind could torment her anymore. "I just thought maybe I could give you some of my hot water in a bucket. Not...that."

Farron chuckled nervously, running a hand through his hair. "Oh, that's good. 'Cause I wouldn't want to- I mean, I couldn't possibly-"

The sharp sound of Reiley hitting her face with her palm in exasperation pulled the twosome out of their awkward moment. "Just get in that hot shower before this dumpster fire of a conversation gets any worse."

Silently thanking Reiley with her eyes, Alyxia scampered off into the bathroom with her life and honour. Quickly bolting the bathroom door, she leaned her forehead against the cold wood to calm herself . However a few flakes of the peeling paint got into her mouth, and she promptly spat it out into the sink.

"The things I do for some hot water," she whispered in disbelief to herself.

***

In the books she often read, the heroes or heroines would have lengthy conversations with themselves in the shower. Oddly enough, Alyxia never really felt the urge to talk to herself in the shower.

That was, until now.

Why do you never think things through? Now Farron will get weirded out by you!