Twenty-Three: I Think You Have An Audience

"A locator chip?" Alyxia queried as she explored the mansion in the light of the late morning, Reiley and Farron at either side. "In Farron's shoulder?"

"Yep," Farron confirmed, his hands buried in his pockets. The sunlight shone through the ceiling-high windows, casting a sort of halo around Farron's brunet head. "We got it out though."

"Who is 'we'?" Alyxia demanded, getting more confused by the second. "And when did this happen?"

"I gouged it out of him," Reiley answered grimly. "Last night, while you were sleeping." The faintest of smirks played on her lips. "And I made sure it hurt."

"Real considerate of you, Reiley," Farron retorted, rubbing his shoulder. "But it was unavoidable, I guess; I didn't want to disturb your sleep, Alyxia."

"Like she would have done it," Reiley snorted. "Our Royal Highness here is famously squeamish. She likes you, but she doesn't like you that much."

"Reiley!" Alyxia exclaimed indignantly. At the sound of her raised voice, Beckett immediately appeared out of the shadows and in their path, forcing them to a halt.

"Is anything the matter, Your Royal Highness?" Beckett inquired. "Has Griffin been acting inappropiately? I assure you, she will be sternly-"

"How did you pop up here?" Alyxia puzzled.

"I am always at your beck and call, Your Royal Highness," Beckett answered. "Should I reprimand Griffin?"

"That will not be necessary," Alyxia ordered, annoyance pricking her. "She is my friend, and not your underling."

To her further annoyance, Beckett simply nodded and bowed. " Understood, Your Royal Highness. Remember, I shall be around if you require my services." He stepped aside, allowing them to continue their walk through the mansion.

"As I was saying," Reiley resumed as they marvelled at the elaborate portraits of Alyxia's ancestors and family members which adorned the walls, " We destroyed the chip, but Ignis could have already gotten our location. This place is compromised. "

"Are you saying we have to leave?" Alyxia sputtered, whipping her head around to face the other girl. "But we just got here! I just got my family back!"

"I know it's inconvenient," Reiley reasoned, "But remember that Ignis isn't just after you; they'll take any chance to get their hands on royal family members. Your family are sitting ducks up here."

"So what, at least I'll be with them!" Alyxia burst out. "At least I won't be out on the road again, with no home and no clue who I am or where my destination is!"

Reiley sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. "You're being unreasonable. Moving around's our best bet. If you want, maybe we can find some secure channels of communication so you can keep in touch-"

"Ah, because you always know best, right?" Alyxia scoffed. She was finding it immensely hard to contain her anger and pain.  To lose her family when she had just found them, when she finally felt that she belonged somewhere? She would simply not let that happen.

"You're lashing out," Reiley stated, her calmness sounding increasingly forced. "You should think it over for a bit, then maybe you'll come to your senses."

"I assure you, I am perfectly in my senses," Alyxia fumed. "You know what, just because you barely have a family doesn't mean that you get to deprive me of a family too!"

Dread and regret immediately set in the pit of her stomach as she saw Reiley stiffen. "I'm sorry," Alyxia choked out. "I didn't mean what I said."

"No, you did," Reiley acknowledged. "And you're right. Families exist to complicate things. So I suggest you say your goodbyes before you get slaughtered with the rest of them because of your own pride, idiocy and inability to detach."