Eight: Sorry I Can't Read Your Mind

After three weeks of stealth missions, four abortive cases of arson in the kitchen and a whole bunch of makeup, the motley crew stared proudly at their handiwork: a completed network of white lines snaking through the streets of roughworld Regis. 

However, it wasn't a happy moment for them, Alyxia realised. She understood that it meant that the patrol had approximately quadrupled its search perimeter to root out anyone who could oppose the present government.

Opposition that included an ousted princess, a deserted lieutenant and an escaped convict.

"So," Alyxia started, attempting to cut through the palpable tension in the air. "We've got the patrol timings and routes mapped up; what do we do now?"

Farron sighed and ran his fingers through his dark hair. "I don't know, Your Highness. It seems like we can't go anywhere in town without having to constantly look over our shoulders." He paused, before adding, "More than usual, at least."

The princess looked towards Reiley for an answer, but the other girl seemed to be deep in thought. Alyxia was surprised that the map had not caught on fire with the ferocity of Reiley's glare.

Reiley suddenly exclaimed in frustration, making Alyxia jump in surprise. "I can't find any way around this. Alone, we're screwed."

Alyxia felt a chill creep up on her neck. "We're not alone though, we have Sylvie and Nash!" She didn't want to entertain any possibility of their failure.

"They can't help us with a lot of things," Reiley muttered as she shoved her hands into the pockets of her old lieutenant's jacket. Alyxia wondered why she still wore that thing. "No offense," Reiley added while looking at Farron, who simply shrugged.

"'Alone, we're screwed.'' Alyxia quoted. "So where else do we get help from? If you haven't noticed, our families aren't exactly in the most helpful mood."

"That's the thing," Reiley sighed, almost looking defeated. "The general public aren't willing to go against the authorities for obvious reasons, and any dissent is suppressed quickly. Not to mention we have a bounty on our heads. We don't have like minded people that we can contact."

ِAlyxia heard someone start to whistle all of a sudden. She whipped her head around to find Farron conspicuously looking at the ceiling, hands behind his back almost nervously.

"Is there something you'd like to say, Farron?"

Farron turned around, laughing nervously as he did so. "What? No! Nothing to report here, Your Highness." The nervous smile on his face somehow made him look so adorable, like a cute little puppy that needed love and care-

Pushing away the butterflies she was feeling in her stomach, Alyxia saw that Reiley was raising a questioning eyebrow. "Spill the truth or I'll spill your guts," Reiley threatened him calmly.

"Uh..." Farron scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. "I might know a subterranean organisation?"

Pin-drop silence in the squalid room. No movement from a furious Reiley, a repentant Farron and a frankly terrified and confused Alyxia.

Reiley finally broke the silence. "Dissenters?"

"..Yeah?"

Surprisingly enough to both Alyxia and Farron, Reiley did nothing except flop onto the chair and remove her boot with a sigh. "Wish I'd known that earlier."

Alyxia looked at Farron with relief. "I think you're safe."

And then a flying boot promptly hit Farron Lennox right on the head.

"Ow!" Farron exclaimed as he put his hands protectively to the spot where the boot had hit him. "What was that for?"

"You drop that bombshell only now?" Reiley exclaimed, visibly holding herself back from throwing her other boot at him. "After three weeks?"