Chapter 24 - Fireworks

"You look very excited for work," Manny's mum said as she watched him eat.

Normally his mother's scrutiny would irritate him but today his buoyant mood seemed indomitable. They were enjoying a rare breakfast together - leftovers turned into a morning meal by the addition of an egg. Miraculously their shifts had synchronised for the first time all summer.

"Do I? Dr Silman sent me his letter of recommendation this morning, so maybe it's that," said Manny, not completely lying.

"I am so glad to hear this Manu, the words of a doctor will surely have a good influence on your application," she affirmed. "Hard work is always rewarded."

Thinking about his mum's countless twelve-hour shifts and their still-broken boiler, he found it hard to agree. "Thanks Mum."

At work, Manny found his fingers drumming away the seconds on the till. After he had checked his watch for the fifth time, with only forty-three minutes passing since the first time, Manny had taken it off and left it in his locker. It helped him in the way that when he went to check the time, all he saw was his empty wrist, eliciting a brief flush of embarrassment at his impatience and foolishness. He would have been able to keep track if only the checkout screen he was using wasn't damaged with black tape covering the bottom edge where the clock was displayed. In feeble reassurance he told himself that not knowing the time made it go faster.

The afternoon rush had slowed and the no-alcohol sign dissuaded the few customers who headed towards his available checkout with boxes of booze in their trolleys. Manny let his head rest on his hand. Supermarket din of chatter, announcements over the speaker and scanners was a comfort which then receded as his mind drifted.

"Manny."

He straightened up, coming face to face with manager-Dave who smiled, "Your shift ended five minutes ago. What are you doing here? Go home."

"Oh, thanks, sorry I didn't realise."

Manny rushed into the empty staff room, pulling his uniform off and swapping it for a t-shirt he'd brought especially. Grabbing his bag and shutting his locker, he hurried to the exit. Outside, in the summer evening he checked his phone.

"Hey," Henry said from behind him, leaning against the supermarket wall with his hands stuffed in his pockets.

"Hey," Manny said, his voice catching slightly at the sight of the sun-basked boy, and put his phone away, "so when do the fireworks start?"

"Twenty minutes."

"Cool," said Manny. "Let's go find a spot."

Crowds filled and milled around the lamplit Docks. Small children pulled along their parents to brightly-coloured stands selling illuminated balloons and candyfloss. Sugar scented-air from the donut and crepe vendors mixed with the smell of frying as they walked past burger vans. They stopped at one to buy chips liberally doused in salt and vinegar. Only after scanning the faces of people around them and finding them all to be strangers, did they share the box. The hot chips steamed the inside of their mouths, forcing them to fan their hands frantically in front of their faces, snorting back laughter before spearing another mouthful with their wooden forks. When they were finished they discarded the box and made their way closer to the water.

"You're not going to see anything from here," Henry frowned, peering over most of the heads between them and the railings.

Manny rolled his eyes, "I'm not that short! Plus, you do know how fireworks work, right? They go up, into the sky."

"I know, but still. Don't you want to be able to see the pontoons where they're setting them off from on the water?"

Looking at the little kids on their dad's shoulders and then to Henry, Manny said, "No, I'm good here."

With that, the first explosion sounded, and a burst of yellow lit up the navy sky. A cacophony of colour followed, with exclamations of awe. Although he couldn't hear him, Manny knew Henry was still there, chest against his back. Manny leaned back, pressing into him, in this crowd they were anonymous, and to his joy, a familiar hand briefly rested on his hip.

As the firework smoke began to cloud, their hearing returned with a slight ringing and the swarm of people around began to thin. They stepped away from each other but still within touching distance. In the lamplight Henry's eyes glinted, he gestured, "Let's go over there."

Next to the lock was a thicket, so dense it had no visible shapes within. Checking before he did so, Henry stepped into the dark group of trees, pulling Manny with him. Once inside, drenched in shadow, Henry pulled him closer and kissed him.

"You seriously leaned on me like that with people around us," Henry whispered against Manny's neck, kissing him between his words. "You make it so hard to control myself."

Up against a tree Manny's heart raced, gripping the boy closer. He wanted every inch of Henry Gosforth. They were as insatiable as each other.

They remained, arms entangled until their breathing slowed. Silently, with a kiss they separated. Manny readjusted his t-shirt and zipped up his jeans as Henry located his jacket on the ground. Once fully dressed, they emerged from the overgrowth as if no time had passed. The path around the dockland was now quiet, the only noise came from the vendors as they packed up their stands. A cold wind picked up over the water, prickling Manny's arms, he rubbed his hands over them in the hope of reducing his goosebumps. Henry tugged off his grey hoodie and held it out for him to slip into. Pre-warmed by its owner, Manny zipped it up.

He was still wearing it when he curled up in bed with the hood up. Cocooned in his scent, Manny breathed deeply, his muscles relaxing with each exhale. Memories swirled into dreams as he re-lived their moment in the dark, lulling him into sleep.