Chapter 11

Sleep had only just found Henry when his phone began ringing. Its shrill tone was even louder in the dark and he fumbled to quickly accept the call.

"I can't go, it's on Easter weekend, I can't go!" Manny's voice sounded wobbly.

"Can't go to what?" Henry sat up in bed but kept his eyes closed in the hopes that it would be a short conversation. His body was aching from training and he wasn't looking forward to school. He hadn't done the psychology homework and there was no way he would get it done before the first period.

"To Violet Ash," said Manny in a harsh whisper.

"What? You're joking," Henry did his best to keep his voice low, he didn't fancy his dad coming in to see why he was awake.

"Yes, Henry, I called you at one o'clock in the morning to joke," Manny said flatly, Henry could practically hear his eyes roll. Manny moaned, "It's Good Friday, I was wondering why the date sounded familiar to me."

"Can you not go to concerts or something?" Henry frowned trying to remember if that was a thing. As far as he was concerned Easter equalled chocolate and lamb, though not together, that would be disgusting.

"No, it's not that, I should be with my mum. I've never asked to go to a concert before but I definitely won't be able to go on Easter weekend!" Manny sighed.

"Why don't you just ask? Your mum might say yes," suggested Henry. This could not be happening, not after all the faff of getting the tickets. Owing Jamie a favour wouldn't be bearable if after all this Manny couldn't go to the concert.

"You really don't understand, Easter is so important to my mum. Plus it's no use, we have church," Manny's voice rose to a whine, Henry could hear it begin to shake over the phone.

"When does church finish?" Henry asked.

Manny's voice was tight, "You're not listening-"

"I am listening Manny, you're getting upset but you haven't even asked your mum yet. You should ask her," Henry was doing his best to sound reasonable, but he was desperate for Manny to go to the concert and not to give up now they were so close. "Tell her I'm driving us and-"

"You've clearly never met a Nigerian mother. You driving isn't a good thing," Manny said gruffly.

"I drive well," Henry was a little bit offended. He opened his eyes, "Oh shit wait, Good Friday?"

"Yes," hissed Manny.

"My mum has a garden party every Easter Saturday." He couldn't believe he had forgotten about it, for all his life Henry's mum had thrown that party. Even on occasions when the festivities had been forced indoors due to bad weather, around a hundred people attended.

"Okay," Manny said slowly, he had no idea where this was going.

"Why don't you tell your mum that you're going to an Easter party?" said Henry.

"Why would I be going to a Saturday party on a Friday night, Henry?" groaned Manny.

"No, say that you're staying at mine for the night, so you're ready to help my mum early in the morning to set up for the garden party and that you and your mum are invited," Henry said all matter of fact.

"You're inviting my mum?" Henry could imagine Manny's eyebrow raised in scepticism as he said this.

"Why not?" Henry countered.

"You've lost it," whispered Manny.

"No I haven't. My mum does the garden party as a charity thing, so loads of people come. My mum would love to meet your mum," said Henry. It was true, ever since Manny had met Henry's mum, she asked about him all the time and was unimpressed by the lack of detail in Henry's replies.