Chapter 12

Ziana drifted slowly down from the balcony. Her eyes itched with tiredness but her heartfelt like singing. Had she finally gotten through to Jen? It was a relief that he had believed her lies about being a commoner, hopefully, that would be in the past and she would never have to talk about it again. She felt like she was making good progress with him, he had kissed her nose after all.

She and Carpet drifted down, and Carpet gently glided over one of the large fountains in the palace garden. Zania felt totally at peace, and she gazed up at the sky through her long lashes. Finally, things were going right for——.

"Get her!"

Rough voices roused her from her euphoria as cold hands grabbed her, pulled her away from Carpet, and throwing her on the ground. Before she could get up, her arms were forced behind her back and her wrists bound tightly with coarse rope. Another guard had grabbed her legs and bound her ankles and knees together. Before she could cry for help, a gag was wrapped tightly around her face, stifling any noise she was about to make. She struggled fiercely against the grips of the guards and hoped beyond hope that someone would help her.

Ziana looked around wildly and her heart sank she saw that the courtyard was empty. There was no one there to save her.

"I'm afraid you've worn out you're welcome here, Princess Gigibaba," a voice hissed.

Ziana looked around and saw the Serpentress Savina emerging from the shadows like a curled up cobra ready to strike. She smiled venomously and Ziana had never felt more hatred for anyone on this earth.

Savina waved her hand careless at the guards, "Make sure she's never found."

Ziana was then stuffed into a musty-smelling burlap back. She tried to scream through the gag but she could barely make a sound. She struggled wildly as they took her farther and farther away from the palace, from the first place where she ever felt like home. Suddenly, Ziana felt like she was free-falling, and then she was engulfed in cold, salty water.

Saltwater stung her eyes as Ziana struggled desperately to reach the lamp, but she was running out of air. She could see a thick red haze building up in front of her eyes and her lungs burned like fire. Her only hope was to get to the lamp, but the more she struggled, the weaker she became until finally, everything faded to black. As she sunk down to the sandy bottom of the sea, the lamp shifted in the light current. It brushed up gently against her fingertips and Sploosh! Genie materialized.

"Never fails," she sighed, wearing a shower cap and holding a scrub brush.

"I get in the bath, and now there's a rub at my lamp. Hello? I'm a little busy here! This better be good, Zi—,"

She stopped short and her smile faded as she saw Ziana, unconscious at the ocean's bottom floor.

"Zi! Ziana! Girl, wake up!" Genie pleaded, grabbing Ziana.

"You can't cheat on this one. I can't help you unless you make a wish. You have to say 'Genie, I want you to save my life!' Got it?"

Ziana's head barely nodded.

"I'll take that as a yes!"

Genie flew toward the surface with Ziana in her arms. She landed back to shore, settling Ziana down and bending over to her to see if she was breathing. With a snap of her fingers the ropes binding Ziana's wrists and ankles disappeared and she quickly removed the gag from Ziana's wet face.

Ziana gasped coughing and trembling as she sucked in the sweet night air."Don't scare me like that, please?" Genie said, hugging Ziana.

"Genie, I... thanks," Ziana spoke.