Chapter 7

Back at the palace, the Grand Sultan sat in his tea room eating a biscuit and trying not to think about his last interaction with his grandson. Had he really yelled at him and told him to get over himself? that was so unlike him, and he felt a pang of guilt in his chest. What had come over him? Generally, he and Jen did get along, and Sal felt like Jen-despite all of his stubbornness-- was headed in the right direction of healing. Sal had been grief-stricken when Jasmine had died too, he had loved her like he would have loved his own daughter. Now, he wished he had told Jen this more out loud. Jen had more distant than usual, and had declined Sal's offer to have tea with him. Sal felt a shiver go through his as waves of memories of that night flashed through his mind's eye.

Jen and his fiancé had been traveling outside the kingdom on a diplomatic visit across the sea. The visit had been a success, and they were in their caravan coming home. It was late at night, the moon shining so bright in the sky they didn't need to light the torches. The attack happened right before the guards could open the gates to the palace. The thieves of OlnemKarp had been hiding in the shadows of the closed marketplace in front of the palace. They had been within yards of the palace guards and had not been discovered until it was too late. By the time Sal had gotten there to help it was too late. the thieves had already murdered Jasmine. And Jen...Jen had suffered a fate worse than death. They had branded his skin with hot red irons and then tossed him aside, eager to claim the jewels that were hidden in the caravan. Sal had grabbed his sword, and with the help of his guards had killed every single one of those thieves. But was too late for Jasmine, and too late for Jen. The damage had already been done. After that night, Jen wouldn't speak for days on end—except for the nightmares where he screamed and screamed. Sal had heard the rumors going around the palace that the prince had gone insane from grief. But he wasn't insane...Sal could see that he was still fighting, that he hadn't given up so easily and that's why Sal knew that Jen would make a good Sultan. Jen was strong, stronger than anybody else that he knew. He just needed more time to heal. Sal still remembered the first time Jen had ventured out of his room after that night. It had been three weeks of doors slammed in his face and silence, and then Jen appeared right in the very courtyard he was sitting in. Sal had been overlooking some old maps and updating them with new ink. Jen had sat by his side for almost the entire morning, silently helping him fix the maps and that's when Sal knew that Jen was fighting to stay present, to continue on with his life, even after the worst had happened to him. He wasn't going to give up and Sal loved his grandson for being so strong, in fact—-.

He was jolted out of his thoughts by a knock at the door, but before he could answer Savina rushed in with a scroll in her hand.

"Sire, I've found a solution to the problem with the Prince."

He saw her snake staff and immediately let out a breath that he didn't know he was holding. Savina always seemed to make everything better.

"Praise you, Savina. Please, tell me what is it?" He asked.

Savina sat down in the chair next to him and helped herself to a cup of tea. Once she had stirred in the cream and sugar, she put her cup down and opened the scroll.

'If the prince has not chosen a bride by the appointed time, then the Sultan shall choose one for him'!"

The Sultan nodded, "Yes, yes. I know that part of the scrolls. how can I choose someone for him, when he still mourns Jasmine?"

"Oh, there's more," Savina said, unrolling the scroll further.

"'If a suitable princess can't be found, then the prince shall be deemed unfit to rule and....oh my...."

"What?" Sal waited in anticipation."'the female royal vizier' shall take his place as Sultan," Savina looked up. "Why, that would be...me."

Sal stared at her, Jen unfit to rule?

"Desperate times call for desperate measures, my lord." She added, almost as an afterthought.

Savina then raised her staff. It glowed faintly with magical energy, and Sal felt all of his anxieties ease away, and suddenly her suggestion didn't seem so bad. Jen would be happy with her, and all he wanted was for Jen to be happy.

"You shall order that the prince is unfit to rule and have me take his place as Sultan," her voice said, soft and silky in the evening air

Sal closed his eyes, "I shall order that the prince is unfit-"

Just then, there was a sound of trumpets and drums from the outside, breaking the spell she held over him. Whatever it was, it was very loud and it sounded like it was coming from the front of the palace. he stood up and walked out to his balcony where he could see the front of the palace doors and beyond. A huge band was marching down the main street. A menagerie of 75 golden camels, over 53 purple peacocks, and other countless exotic animals. All magically led by an elephant, ridden by the most flamboyant Princess the Sultan had ever seen. To him, she was absolutely beautiful, with long flowing red hair crested with an intricate golden crown. Right then, he knew that she was the one Jenssin was going to pick. How could he not?

The drums from her entourage made the entire palace vibrate and he felt a thrill of excitement in his chest. A few seconds later, there was a knock at the door, followed by a cascade of trumpets, cheering, and drums beating.

"We must let them in! Tell the guards to open up the gates!" He cried, clapping his hands and then without waiting for Savina to follow his walked as fast as his little feet could carry him to the front of the palace. Razoal and the other guards were waiting at the door for his command. The gates opened and there was a flood of people and activity. There were dancers dressed brightly in pink and green, peacocks, and other exotic birds flying everywhere. And then, there she was, sliding down from her carrier. She was even more stunning up close. This girl....no...women was dressed in the finest silks he had ever seen. her head was bedazzled with gold and jewels. She gracefully walked up to him and bowed down.

"Grand Sultan Saleel al-Salim. I have traveled far from the Kingdom of Zibabia to come to ask for Prince Jenssin's hand in marriage. My named is Princess ZiZi. Princess ZiZi of Zibabia." she said in a clear, high voice. Sal felt his heart leap with glee, now Jen didn't have to marry Savina!

"Welcome, welcome my dear princess to my kingdom! Thank you for coming all this way to visit my kingdom. Isn't she lovely, Savina? Oh goodness, this is so exciting. What a wonderful proposal." Sal said, not being able to control his excitement.!" He said, and with a wide smile he waved the entourage in.

He turned to Savina, who had a strange look on her face.

"Come, let's go to the throne room. I am so happy everything is working out. We can have the papers signed by dinner time and then we will start planning the wedding!."

"Are you not forgetting someone?" Savina asked him, pulling him aside. His heart sank for a moment.

Jen.

He had completely forgotten about Jen, who had to say yes before anything became official.

"Right. Jen. Let's get Jen and then go to the throne room. Razoal! Kindly lead the Princess Zizi into the throne room. The Prince and I will be there shortly.

Razoal bowed and then motioned for the Princess ZiZI to follow him.

Sal smiled, things were finally working out for the better!