Chapter 4

"What on earth were you thinking? I have reports from Razoul saying that you were caught in the market place by yourself without a royal escort and shoplifting! And then he nearly arrested you with that little thief down in the dungeons. I don't know what has gotten into you." the Grand Sultan stated angrily, pacing back and forth in front of his grandson. He had been in such a light mood earlier, after talking to Savina about.....about something, but then Razoal had broken his happy little bubble by telling him that Jenssin had almost been arrested! He felt grumpy and irritable like he had just woken up from a night of drinking wine.

Jenssin was leaning against the table of his study room, arms crossed over his chest, eyes staring at the ground. he hadn't said a word since Sal had entered, and Sal was trying not to lose his temper.

"I am happy that you took my suggestion to get outside but I wish you could have used a little more common sense. These are dangerous times, Jenssin and you need to be smarter. Or do you not remember what happened last time you galavanted across town without proper protection?" he said giving a gesture at the prince's collarbone where he knew the circular scar was from where the thieves had branded him.

The prince's face paled slightly, and then in one swift motion, he moved from the desk towards the door.

"Don't walk away from me when I am yelling at you!" he shouted before he could stop himself, his anger finally boiling over. He regretted it immediately as he saw Jen flinch away from him. he stopped a few feet away from the door and turned around.

"It wasn't like that, I didn't mean for——." he started

"Didn't mean what? To steal?" Sal interrupted before Jen could finish. Jen flinched again but stayed where he was.

"I was caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. There was a misunderstanding with the shopkeeper and Ziana—-," he paused and then winced, his right hand went up and grabbed his left forearm, and Sal could see that he was starting to shake again. He appeared to freeze for several moments.

"Jen," Sal said, and then when he didn't respond he said his name louder.

Jen flinched again and then opened his eyes.

"Why do you do that with me? Am I that difficult to talk to?" Sal asked, the anger in his chest burning bright.

"I'm sorry, I don't know why—-,"

"You're an adult now. It's time to grow up and stop living in the past. I know you've been through a lot, but I have too and I am completely fine. I have been patient with you, and I have given you time to mourn but now you need to step up."

There was a strained silence.

A knock a the door made them both jump.

"Enter," Sal said

The Serprentres Savina walked in, the small coins on her skirt jingled softly as she paused, taking in the scene. On one hand, she held a silver tray with a teapot, teacups, and biscuits. In her other hand, she held her golden snake staff.

"I heard raised voices, and I came to offer my assistance," she said after a few beats of silence. Sal gave a quiet sigh of relief, Savina almost had this magic about her, the way she could calm a room with just a lift of her staff. he already felt more relaxed just looking at it. Savina looked between Sal and Jen, and the gave a small smile.

"Let's sit down, drink some tea and we can figure this all out," she said, motioning towards the other door that led to the small seating area that Jen had in his palace rooms.

"Okay."

The seating area consisted of a small table decorated with gold and a few medium-sized purple crystals, a silk-covered grey couch with fur blankets spread across it, and several large navy armchairs surrounding it. Savina sat down on one end of the couch, while Sal sat down on the other. Jen hesitated for a moment but then sunk into one of the matching armchairs.

"What's this all about then? Savina asked in a silky voice.

There was an awkward silence.

"Does this have anything to do with what happened today at the marketplace?" Savina prompted.

"Well yes. I mean, there was some trouble with shoplifting..." Sal started.

" Ahh, I see. I sent the guards to capture the thief known as Ziana. I caught her earlier this morning in my study trying to steal your blue diamond. She was able to escape out of the palace before I couldn't notify the guards. I apologize —."

"She stole my blue diamond ring?"

"Yes. But don't worry, she has been dealt with properly."

"Properly?"

"The punishment for stealing from the royal palace is death, and I can assure you that her sentence has already been carried out."

Sal stared at Savina, usually, he consulted with her before carrying out a sentence on a prisoner. this was the first time that she hadn't.

"I am aware that in normal circumstances the death penalty requires your consultation but I assumed that you were busy with other matters. So I took the liberty of signing the document for you." She said, and as she spoke she turned her staff towards him and he was immediately reassured that she had done the right thing.

"I.....yes...thank you, Savina," Sal said, suddenly feeling a great amount of warmth towards her.

"As for your other concerns, if you continue dwelling on what happened, then you'll never move on from it."

"You are correct, as always Savina," Sal said, nodding his head and once again feeling like she was the best advisor in the whole world. He turned to Jen, who was still sitting in the armchair, arms crossed over his chest and staring at his knees.

"I've made up my mind. The next princess who arrives will be your bride."

Jen sat up straighter in his chair, "Grandfather, I don't know if I am ready—."

"It's been months since Jasmine died, it is time to stop feeling so upset about it and to move on," Sal said, reassured by the warm feeling in his chest that that was exactly the right thing to say to his grandson.

Jenssin's eyes flashed, and then he stood up from his chair so quickly it fell over and crashed to the ground.

"I can't believe you." He hissed angrily and then he left the room, not quite slamming the door on his way out.

Savina sipped her tea and smiled, "I think that went quite well."

Sal smiled and then grabbed a biscuit.

"Yes, quite well indeed."