Chapter 6

When Ziana finally woke up, she found herself in a small wicker basket. Her hands and feet were bound tight with scratchy rope. She heard the sound of hooves on sand. Where was she going? There was a long drawn out mmmeeeeeoooowwwwwww and then she felt tiny claws on her next.

"Oki, is that you?"

Meeeoooooowwwwwwwwww.

Then she felt the rumble of Oki's purr against her face. At least wherever they were going, they were going together. They traveled for a long time together, Zinia lost track of the hours as she listened to the rustling of sand and hooves from outside. When the lid of the basket was finally taken off, Zinia was surprised to see that it was evening. They had been traveling almost all day. She was pulled roughly out of the basket and landed on sand still hot from the sun's gaze. She looked up at her captors and was surprised to see that there was only one; a tiny frail old woman with long white hair running down in a braid down her back. Her ropes were black and travel-worn. Her wrinkly sunburned face gave her a toothy smile when Ziana glared at her. Then she pulled out a long black dagger, Zinia tried to flinch away, but it was hard with her hands tied behind her back. The woman grabbed her arm roughly and cut the ropes from her wrists and ankles.

"Look around you, girl. Sand and death are all there is. You would be dead in less than a day if you try to run." The woman warned in a low gravelly voice.

"Who are you?" Ziana asked

"That doesn't matter. What matters is that you are the diamond in the rough."

"What?" She asked, but the old woman ignored her. She turned around and saw that they were standing in front of a giant sand dune. The woman pulled two golden pieces out of her robes. Put together, the two golden pieces formed a scarab beetle

The beetle soared around the dune, breaking into two different pieces before falling into the sand. A tiger head emerged from the sand, eyes glowing brightly where the beetle pieces fell. The woman grabbed Ziana and pushed her forwards, as the cave formed fully.

WHO DISTURBS MY SLUMBER?

Ziana looked at the woman, who gestured with her hand to walk forward.

"Say your name, girl." she hissed under her breath.

"Um...It is...I, Ziana!" Ziana said, hoping she sounded braver then she felt.

PROCEED, BUT REMEMBER. TOUCH NOTHING BUT THE LAMP. A larger opening appeared and Zinia saw that stairs were forming, leading a path into the cave.

"You will go into the Cave of Wonders and retrieve the lamp. The rest of the treasure is yours, but the lamp is mine. Understand?" The woman said.

Ziana hesitated.

"Your other option is death." the woman added, raising the black dagger.

"Go on!" The woman urged. "Just remember, bring me just the lamp and I shall give you your reward!" Ziana just glanced to Oki, shrugging before stepping inside the giant cat's mouth and descending.

At the very bottom of a long, winding staircase, there was a huge, cavernous room brimming with golden treasure. Oki peered out, gave an excited meow upon seeing the mountains of loot.

"Remember what the....whatever that was said, we can't touch anything except for the lamp," she reminded her little friend. Oki jumped down from her shoulder onto the ground, staring at the piles of golden coins.

There was a low swishing noise and Ziana just had enough time to duck before something flew over her. Oki hissed and hopped up onto her shoulder again. The thing—whatever it was—swooshed around a pillar and then barreled right towards Ziana. It hit her with an incredible amount of force and the three of them went tumbling down the passageway. When they finally stopped, Oki immediately jumped to her feet hissing and spitting wildly but Ziana paused because it looked like they were just hit with a giant oriental carpet.