XXXI. Queen of Hearts

Third Person POV:

STORYBROOKE

In Mr. Gold's shop, Regina checked on David, who was still under the sleeping curse.

"Any change?" Mr. Gold asked.

"No," Regina replied. "He's not improving. He needs true love's kiss. He won't wake up until Mary Margaret comes back."

"Until? Well, that's rather optimistic, isn't it?"

"What are you talking about?"

"They're up against your mother. The only chance Snow and Emma have of defeating her, is with the squid ink."

"Which is why you sent the message through David."

"Which would be beneficial, if we knew that message were delivered. But alas, given the Prince's condition, we don't know. As such, it's important we take precautions. We have to consider the possibility that, when that portal opens, it won't be his family that come through. It'll be Cora."

"And neither one of us wants that."

"We have to find where they're coming through, and destroy the portal."

"But whoever came through would die."

"Exactly. But, I'm confident between the two of us, we can summon up enough magic to complete the task."

"Well, what if we're wrong? What if that portal opens up and it's not my mother. What if Mary Margaret and Emma do defeat Cora, and go through it?"

"Well, I believe in this world, they call that a win-win."

"How exactly is that?"

"If we stop Cora, you are protected from your mother's wrath. If, on the other hand, we stop Snow and Emma, well... You become the only mother in your son and daughter's life, now don't you? Look, magic is unpredictable in this world. If something unfortunate were to happen while you were trying to help... Henry and Aubree could hardly blame you for that, could they?"

"No. I can't lie to them. I am trying to be a better mother."

"You won't be a better anything if Cora comes through. And if she does, she will be a threat to everyone - including your son and daughter. So, if you truly want to be a good mother to Henry and Aubree - to protect them - if you want to be better, prove it."

FTW

Mary Margaret and company arrived at Rumpelstiltskin's cell.

"Rumpelstiltskin's cell," Mary Margaret said. "I haven't been here since before Regina's curse. This is where he told us you were going to be the savior."

"He knew?" Emma asked.

"It was prophesied. Come on."

Inside, they found the cell completely empty.

Aurora looked around the cell. "The squid ink - it's not here."

"Gold said we would find it," Mary Margaret reminded them.

They began checking the crevices of the walls.

"Well, was there anyone in here with them?" Mulan questioned. "Could they have taken the ink?"

"No, he was kept alone. Visitors were forbidden. He was too dangerous to allow any human contact."

"How'd he keep from growing crazy?" Emma asked.

Aurora found a piece of paper tucked into the wall. "He didn't."

"What is it?" Mary Margaret inquired.