II. The Thing You Love Most

Henry and I watched as the clock tower hands moved.

Mom came into Henry's room and called for me. "Aubree, get in here!"

I walked into Henry's room and she asked, "The missing pages - where are they?"

Henry shrugged. "It's an old book. Stuff's missing. Why do you care?"

"I care because you two think I'm some evil queen. And that hurts me, Henry, Aubree. I'm your mother."

"No, you're not," Henry and I said.

Mom frowned. "Well, then who is? What woman you two brought here? I don't like what she and this book are doing to you two. Thankfully, both are no longer an issue." Henry and I smirked. "What?"

The clock chimed, and Mom looked up. Henry and I left while she was distracted by the clock.

"That was close," I muttered.

Henry glanced at me. "You know what this means, right?"

"That she stayed. I think we're starting to get through to her."

"Yeah. Now getting her to believe is gonna be harder."

"We'll find a way. We always do."

Third Person POV:

Regina knocked on the door to Emma's room whilst holding a basket of apples.

When the door opened, Regina said, "Did you know the Honeycrisp tree is the most vigorous and hearty of all apple trees? It can survive temperatures as low as forty below and keep growing. It can weather any storm. I have one that I've tended to since I was a little girl. And to this day, I have yet to taste anything more delicious than the fruit it offers." She handed Emma an apple.

"Thanks," Emma replied.

"I'm sure you'll enjoy them on your drive home."

"Actually, I'm going to stay for awhile."

"I'm not sure that's such a good idea. Henry and Aubree have enough issues. They don't need you confusing them."

"All do respect, Madam Mayor, the fact that you have now threatened me twice in the last 12 hours makes me want to stay more."

"Since when were apples a threat?"

"I can read between the lines. Sorry. I just want to make sure Henry and Aubree are okay."

"They're fine, dear. Any problems they have are being taken care of."

"What does that mean?"

"It means I have them in therapy. It's all under control. Take my advice, Miss Swan. Only one of us knows what's best for Henry and Aubree."

"Yeah, I'm starting to think you're right about that."

"It's time for you to go."

"Or what?"

"Don't underestimate me, Miss Swan. You have no idea what I'm capable of."

Regina made her way home and picked apples in her garden.

A man holding a newspaper, featuring Emma on the front page, walked up behind her. "The Mirror strikes again!"

"You're late," Regina said.

"Sorry. I wanted to bring you the latest edition. I assure you it's one of my better hatchet jobs."

"That's not what I asked for. What'd you find out about her?"

"Well, the truth be told, there wasn't much. She spent a lot of time in foster homes. Sh-she got into some trouble when she was a kid, ah, but the details are locked up pretty tight. Since then, she's clean. Bounced around all over. The only thing I really learned was that she doesn't like to sit still."