Chapter 48

*** A/N: Chapter / scene song from playlist - DESCENT (Red) ***

The three government officials sat and listened to the police officer's report as they stared intently at the viewer.

"When we recovered the mannequin, we found a rope tied around its waist. So we guessed that it had been placed in the water somewhere upstream of the dam, and likely weighed down by some sort of anchor that had come loose, allowing it - the mannequin - to then float downstream, eventually getting caught below the dam. There's not a lot of security camera footage up there, and canvasing the surrounding neighborhoods didn't yield any useful information, but on a whim one of our officers suggested pulling footage from the camera on the train that passes over the river on the railway bridge up by the high school."

"I didn't know that our trains had cameras" said one of the officials sitting on the couch.

"Most people don't" replied the one behind the desk. "It's relatively new."

The police officer continued. "Take a look at this. This footage was taken at about 10:30pm as the train passed over that bridge the night before the mannequin was found."

The video rolled for a few seconds and then paused. The officer zoomed in.

The government officials stared at the image briefly before turning to each other, smiling. "Bingo" said the one seated behind the desk. "Nice work captain."

"Yea, we cleaned the image up as much as we could but unfortunately, we still couldn't get a good enough look at that second person there to be able to identify them."

"That's ok. We only need one to make our example."