Chapter 47

*** A/N: Chapter / scene song from playlist - THE SHOW MUST GO ON (Queen) ***

*** A/N: Chapter / scene song from playlist - ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST (Queen) ***

*** A/N: Chapter / scene song from playlist - CONSTELLATE (Fleurie) ***

A soggy, soaking rain fell from steel grey skies. Except for ribbons of white that breaking waves formed as they rolled heavily towards the shore, it was hard to tell where the ocean ended and the sky began. It was a pretty bleak day, one seemingly incapable of supporting any amount of joy or even hopefulness, which was probably fitting. Still, Luna did find herself wishing it was nicer out. I mean, didn't they - didn't Bo - deserve that much? She immediately felt bad for even noticing the weather.

Seagulls soared effortlessly on the breeze, their distinctive mournful calls partially muted by the wind and the waves. She saw a ship on the horizon. Was it even moving? Probably, but it was too far away to really tell so it just looked stuck. Stuck in the suffocating, relentless grey ocean. Stuck just like she was.

The moist salty air made her eyes water and her nose run. She dabbed her eyes and sniffed. She loved the ocean, but not like this. Not in this context. Not under these circumstances. She could think of a million places she'd rather be right now... of a million things she'd rather be doing. This sucked. And honestly, it was stupid. I mean, what was the point of it all, really?

Her mind continued to wander as Olivia spoke. She stared down at the ground silently, shivering despite the warm breeze off the ocean that blew strands of hair across her face that she had to keep pushing away. She realized that she was wearing the boots that her and Bo had found in the funky secondhand store that day. That day that now seemed like a whole lifetime ago. Before her world began crumbling. Before so much of what and who she loved had started being ripped away from her.

She continued standing quietly, shoulders slumped, arms hanging loosely by her side, lost in her thoughts until eventually she realized that Olivia was no longer talking, which meant that it was her turn.

She loosely bit her lip then took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, allowing her cheeks to puff out just a bit as she did. Olivia stood next to her holding an umbrella over both of their heads, but it didn't stop drops of rain from landing on the single piece of paper that Luna had pulled from her pocket and that she now held tightly in both of her slightly trembling hands. She focused on the paper to avoid making eye contact with anyone. She knew that was the only way she was going to get through this... the only way she was going to be able to say what she needed to say. Did she really need to say anything? Yes. Yes she did. She knew she did. But this was hard.

She sighed, closing her eyes, finding comfort in the steady rhythm of the sound of the waves. After a long period of silence, she finally began to speak, quietly – too quietly - the wind immediately carrying her words away. She swallowed hard and started again. Slowly, hesitantly.

"I was supposed to say a few words about my... my friend Bo, but as you can see... my page is pretty much blank." She turned her paper around and held it up for them to see. The only thing on the page was the word 'BO' in big block letters, with intricate doodles extending from them in numerous directions.

She continued, haltingly, pausing between each thought.

"You see, the words, well... the words, they just... they never really... came to me. Because, I mean... how could I, you know, describe Bo with mere words? To do so - to even try - would, I feel, do the memory of him a huge disservice."