Jade Cotton Trousers

"And Bolin is your brother?" Wu blew on his ramen, emerging slightly from his plush robe. "Whoa." Stars in the prince's eyes. "Your brother is Nuktuk. Could you arrange a meeting between us? Could I get an autograph?" He leaned forward conspiratorially. "Is he really that fit, or is it makeup?"

"Yes." Mako was terse. "And you'll probably meet him eventually. And no." Mako let the letter fall to the table. "He's joined with Kuvira." Mako's gaze rose to pin Wu. "I'm not answering that last one."

"You're no fun." Wu sighed. "So he joined Kuvira. And that's bad?" Wu tested, chewing behind a hand. "She's saving the Earth Kingdom, bringing peace to the people in my stead, under my name. I'm honored to have your brother working for me."

For a moment Mako didn't respond, staring out the window to the snow falling around them. "I don't-" Tension weaved through his frame before he fell into a chair. It chafed to hear Wu lump the two together, for so many reasons. "I don't know."

The sound of ceramic against the wood broke the awkward tension.

"What are you doing?" Mako turned on Wu, annoyed.

"Food'll make you feel better." Wu promised, green eyes wide and earnest.

"You and food. Fine." Mako sighed. "What's the itinerary for today? Baby kissing? Spa? Ribbon cutting?"

"Oh no." Wu shrugged. "I thought maybe, with the weather being what it was, I would just stay in."

The tentative words made Mako pause, chopsticks halfway to mouth. Brow lifted he turned to the Prince.

"You?"

Wu nodded.

"Not doing anything."

Again the Prince nodded, coiffed bangs bobbing as he swallowed. "Take the day off." A hand waved nonchalant. "Do whatever you do."

"Ah, no." Mako slouched back in his seat, eyes narrowed, taking a bite. "What do you want time alone so badly for anyway?" He growled out between chews.

"Maybe I got a sweet date." The response was coy.

Mako couldn't help scoffing. "Sure you do, and I'm a water bender."

Wu frowned, tapping the table for emphasis. "I could get a date if I wanted."

"Then why don't you?"

There was no challenge or heat in the words, yet Wu found himself inexplicably angered. Frowning down into the bowl he took a bite, swallowed. Glanced out the window as he shoveled another helping into his mouth.

"Well." Wu sighed, "I guess you're joining me then."

That made Mako straighten. "Wait, what?" Chopsticks fell limp as golden eyes peered from down the table; wide and in disbelief.

Wu shrugged, picking up his bowl and bringing it to the sink. "I said I had a date." Water ran for a moment as he rinsed his dish. "I offered to let you leave, but you refused. Guess you'll have to suffer the consequences. Now, finish eating. We have to move the table."

"What." It wasn't a question.

"My date is..." Wu sighed, putting his forehead in his hand. "I'm being taught some earth kingdom dances. It's part of my royal coronation," wrist rolled, "thing."

Mako was still staring when Wu glanced back up, pink and suddenly far too warm.

"So I'm going to be part of your... dance practice?"

"I told you to leave." Wu shrugged. "I happen to know I'm a very good dancer."

"Are you good," Mako spoke around his food. "Or do you just have no shame?"