Green Collar

"Bolin!" Mako watched his brother run, the recognition spreading slow then sudden over the familiar face.

Bolin ran towards Mako, stopping short as the two shadow boxed before collapsing into one another's arms. Mako squeezed tight. He had missed Bolin like a limb.

"Look at you! My little brother got all," He paused, holding Bolin at arms length, taking him in. "Important."

Bolin tinged pink, laughed the compliment off. "I know, right? I see myself in the mirror sometimes and I think I'm in trouble before I realize it's only me."

Mako chuckled, hand still resting on his brother's shoulder, soaking in the presence of his sibling. It had been too long. "So, what's it like working for Kuvira?" Both men shot glances over at the woman in question. "From what I've heard she's pretty harsh."

Bolin pulled away, contact lost. Mako felt the ache of it profoundly, clenching his hand.

"No!" Bolin waved his hands in front of him, faltering, "I-I mean, she can be tough, sure, but we're turning around the Earth Kingdom like you wouldn't believe!" Mako could see the conviction in Bolin's eyes. "You remember how bad Grandma's neighborhood in Ba Sing Se was? All that's completely changed, I mean, we are really," he paused, hesitated. "Helping people." A moment passed before he turned back to Mako, "But what have you been up to? Fighting crime?" He threw a couple punches. "Busting triads? Chasing the ladies," Bolin nudged Mako, unaware of the growing unease flooding his brother. "Mako-style?"

"Well," He took a deep breath. How did he explain... everything? "I've been working for Wu." He cringed physically to see the prince fixing his hair in the reflection of a window. "And, uh." Mako couldn't bring himself to tell Bolin about... any of it. The kiss, the three years, the new position. He just shrugged, feeling his heart break. "Yeah."

It had never been like that before. They shared everything. Hell, even a girlfriend once. When had that changed?

Bolin's eyes narrowed, but he didn't comment on it, instead changed the topic. "So, have you seen Korra yet?"

Relieved at the change of topic Mako perked up, though quickly worry flooded back in. "No. She was supposed to come in with Tonraq, but he said she left the South Pole months ago." A sharp breath. "No one knows where she is."

Bolin's face reflected how everyone else felt. The unease and fear twisting his usually carefree features made Mako feel worse. This wasn't a problem he could solve for his brother. Not this time.

~+~+~+~+~+~

"-but did you hear what she said to me, Mako?" Wu whined, fingers twisting and readjusting over themselves. "I always get what I want."

Mako rolled his eyes at the tone, breathing through yet another tantrum. The third that hour, if he'd been keeping track right.

"And now..." Wu's countenance fell. "Junior Suite."

Mako sighed heavily as Gun approached Wu's royal advisor and the one who had walked them through all the steps of the coronation. Funnily the one who had been the most patient with Wu's ups and downs of the day as well.

Mako's hand descended on Wu's shoulder. "Is it because the word 'Junior' is in it?"

Wu frowned, pulling away from Mako's grasp, his gaze scathing. Mouth opened to retort when Gun interrupted.

"Your royal cabinet is here, your majesty!" He was panting, he looked nervous.

Mako swallowed a groan. Nothing, nothing, had gone right. He clenched his still outstretched fist, bringing it to his side.