Prologue [•L•]

The yellowed, glass windows on one side of the building offered a panoramic view of the sprawling Atlantic Ocean. Fan-shaped leaves of the palmyra trees rising from behind the sharp cliffs swayed in the sea breeze. The seagulls nesting on the palmtops had claimed the galvanized guardrails as their preening stations.

None of the students lingered near them for long. Most of them were sure that the gulls had been trained by their school to crap on distracted stragglers. They hurried in through the huge, climber-covered twin gates; some arriving on foot while others gliding in on their bicycles.

Glancing at them, Lamai Che walked to the principal's office, flanked by the other members of the Student Council. The crooked school president pin was straightened by her nimble fingers, and so were the creases in her blue skirt.

She pushed open the oaken door of the office and soft, golden sunlight spilled on her face.

The principal's chair was empty.

Just like the staff room.

And the bathrooms.

Lamai stared at the office room, jaws wide open and eyes unblinking. The rumors had been true all along, the umbrokinect had cursed their school.

Either that or this was a massive prank, courtesy of the school faculty. The Camur Academy for the Elementally Gifted wasn't exactly known for pranking their students.

"What the day is it?" she asked the Vice-president behind her.

"It's the thirteenth of June, Lamai. It's Monday."

She felt her fingers warm up as she entered the room. The scenarios that raced through her mind ranged from petty theft to full-scale gang brawls, from the destruction of school property to fiend attacks. Her tongue stuck itself against her palate for moisture.

The council members waiting outside could see sparks dancing between her black hair strands, tied in a long ponytail. She stopped and inhaled deep.

"One, two . . . ten."

When her anxiety subsided, she slowly whisked a fireball into existence on her palm, reminding the office room what a pyrokinect was. It felt calming, the cycle of powering the fireball and sucking in its heat through her skin.

"Council members," she began in her strictest tone. Her lips quivered as she enunciated each word carefully.

"We will run this school today."

⑅ ♾️ ⑅