He heard his Mom sigh; however, he did not bother asking her what the problem was since he was aware that she wouldn't tell him anyway. Plus, he was not in the mood to argue, particularly not after he fought with his brother, who usually got on his nerves. He did not want to shift the anger he was feeling to his mother. If he did, their residence would be a full scream-fest, so Grey did the best yet simplest thing to do: ignore her.

He could sense his mother's eyes on him though, but she was not saying anything.

"What is it, Mom?" Grey eventually asked his mother without looking at her.

"You know," Anna said quietly. "You will soon find your soulmate."

He sighed. "I do not want a soulmate, Mom."

He didn't even understand why his mother always talked about a soulmate. He personally did not want one; for him, having a soulmate was a big distraction, and it always made a person look weak.

"Everybody does get one whether they like it or not," Anna said, raising her voice a little.

Grey did not seem to mind, even though he was aware his mother was angry. The thought of asking his mother why she did not get one was on the tip of his tongue but he swallowed the words in haste because he did not want to hurt his mother's feelings.

"I do not need a soulmate," Grey repeated. "Let's not worry about this issue. I do not want to be paired with one of those stupid female demons. Period." He thought about being paired with Erna and shook his head quickly.

'That will be a disaster,' he said to himself. He added, "Those female demons are so annoying. I'm better off on my own."

"What if your soulmate is not a demon?" Anna asked quietly, making Grey turn his head to face his mother. He studied his mom intensely, unsure whether she knew what she was talking about.

"What are you implying with that statement?" Glancing at the door to check if it locked, he breathed a sigh of relief. If any demon heard what his mother said, she would have been in trouble. "I do not understand what you are hinting at with that statement. I am a demon, and I will be paired with one. That's how it has always been."

Anna shook her head, not saying any other word. 'If only he knew.'

Grey did not expect his mother to reply to his question. He had gotten used to being left hanging in the air. He changed the subject.

"Are you going to the party tonight?" he asked.

"No. I would rather stay at home." Anna smiled at her son before standing up to leave the room and patting her son's shoulder.

Knowing she would deny as his mother normally did not attend parties, Grey had simply asked that to change the topic of discussion, that is, his soulmate.

***

Ariel was sitting quietly in the living room, watching her family interact with each other. She loved her family a lot even after the whole thing they have been through. They were nevertheless robust together.

Her mother Elena and her father Raguel told her the troubles they faced at the hands of the demons. Even her Grandad Samael lost his soulmate because of the demons. It usually made her angry when she thought about the demons who wrecked her perfect family.

Though her household did not like violence, Ariel had decided to kill any demon she detected wandering around. Killing them would make her feel better; after all, the things they had made their family go through, separated her mother from her father for many years.