Chapter 14: The Last Night of Innocence

It was a week after everyone had found out my secret, and the night of the final task of Triwizard tournament, I hadn't seen or spoken to Draco yet, he didn't even show up to classes, he completely disappeared and it clear he was avoiding me. All my friends in Slytherin stopped speaking to me even Blaise.

I was grateful for my friends in the other houses, as they all seemed to understand, but at the same time they understood how Cherry and Annabelle felt, and so did I, I wanted to give them the space they deserved right now.

I was making my way to the stands at the third challenge when I finally saw him and met his grey eyes as they glared at me coldly.

I stopped walking and froze; I didn't know what I would do or say to him. He turns away and begins walking with Crab and Goyle, but I couldn't let him disappear again, I needed to talk to him. I ran up to him and grabbed his arm.

"we need to talk; you can't avoid me forever" I say holding on to him. He stops still not meeting my gaze and tells Crab and Goyle to go ahead.

He finally turns towards me, "I have nothing to say to you Murphy" he says still looking away.

"well I have something to say to you, I'm sorry for lying Draco I really am, you trusted me and opened up to me and I should have done the same sooner" I cried,

"I tried to tell you that night when Pansy found us, but I just didn't know how to bring it up after, I didn't know how you would react and I didn't want to lose you" I say apologetically.

"you can't lose what you never had" he finally scoffs.

I take a deep breath, "you know I can understand why my friends refuse to speak to me, they have been with me since first year and I betrayed them, but you and I only got close this year, I realise that it doesn't excuse me lying to you, but I don't think I owed you the truth at least not yet. I say sternly.

"I just can't help but feel the real reason you refuse to speak to me is not because I lied, its because I'm a filthy mud blood isn't it?" I growl.

He finally looks me in the eye "well if that's what you think of me it must be true" he growls back.

"I just thought after everything that happened between us, after everything I have seen in you, you wouldn't care who I was" I begin saying as I choke up.

"you are only proving to me what I suspected this entire time, that you wouldn't put your messed-up prejudices aside, not even for me". I say as tears fall down my cheeks.

"I don't regret lying to you, I only regret falling for you" I say as I walk off towards the stands.

Dracos POV

There was so much I wanted to say to her but couldn't, why was I so bad at talking about my feelings, she deserved more, I thought, watching her walk away to the stands. I leaned back against the tree, as tears began falling down my cheek. 

I cared about her so much but I couldn't let her know that, I couldn't tell her I didn't care that she lied and finally i couldn't tell her that I didn't care she was a muggle born, mostly because it wasn't true, the fact is I do care that she is a muggle born. It seemed ridiculous to care about something like that, but I did, I was raised this way my whole life. We despised muggle borns and their kind, I was taught to see them as unnatural and filthy.

But I kept replaying the look on her face, with tears running down her cheek, the look of betrayal in her big brown eyes that used to drive me crazy. I couldn't bare how much I hurt her, she was so good, she was so perfect, she was my white peacock.

 All I wanted to do was to run after her and pull her into my arms, but I couldn't, not just because she was a muggle born but because I needed her to hate me. I wanted her to stop having feelings for me, i cant let her eventually fall in love with me, and i couldn't let myself fall in love with her, because i knew i would never be able to let her go, because we could never have a future together, because i could never have a future with a muggle born,

Because my father is a ... death eater.